Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending your snaps on Snapchat, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world. We are the developer platform for location.
What We Do
Search and geocoding are tied to everything we build at Mapbox — maps, navigation, AR — and underlies every app that helps users explore their world. Whether you’re trying to find a place among the vast amount of data on a global map, or to find the exact location of a venue a few miles down the road, search is in the critical path of so many of our customers’ experiences. Search is building a new mobile Search SDK from the ground up that will power our company’s and customers’ growth in key verticals including consumer, delivery and on-demand, and automotive.
What You'll Do
- Be trusted with open-source, mobile SDK development, which you will own end-to-end, including the design, development and operations of our Search SDK for Android
- You will be expected to be a thought leader in driving the architecture, code health and processes for building robust mobile products
- You’ll be empowered to make product development decisions and take the lead in the direction of your project
- You’ll interact directly with key Mapbox customers and partner with cross-functional teams within Mapbox to solve their root problems
- Be a key contributor on a small, growing team in a critical path for the company’s growth
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Demonstrated history of shipping Android apps available on Google Play store, or equivalent
- Experience writing Android Applications with Kotlin or Java
- Knowledge of software design, Android systems and architecture
- Enthusiasm for building components and systems with reliability and long term support in mind
- Good sense of usability
- Open-minded to explore new languages, skills, techniques, and platforms
- Desire to learn and to teach
- Experience building SDKs in any language is a plus
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.