Mapbox is the leading real-time location platform for a new generation of location-aware businesses. Mapbox is the only platform that equips organizations with the full set of tools to power the navigation of people, packages, and vehicles everywhere. More than 3.9 million registered developers have chosen Mapbox because of the platform’s flexibility, security, and privacy compliance. Organizations use Mapbox applications, data, SDKs, and APIs to create customized and immersive experiences that delight their customers.
What We Do
The Data Platform team provides the foundational infrastructure, products, and tools for data applications that Mapbox Engineers on our Search, Navigation, and Maps teams build upon to deliver external customer-facing products and services. We support 300+ Mapbox Engineers located in North America, UK, Germany, Finland, Japan, Poland, and Minsk.
We are distributed across the US, Canada and Finland. Outside of the Helsinki office, we work remotely, and mostly async. We believe in iterative process experimentation, quarterly team feedback surveys and are proud of our collaborative team environment that fosters growth and delivery at scale.
Data Platform is broken down into two individual sub teams and our work and tech stack varies such as:
- Ingestion: 40B GPS points collected per day, processed using Flink / Kinesis Data Analytics. This powers live traffic and Mapbox Movement, a human mobility dataset.
- Data Warehousing: Our Data Lake - Athena, Snowflake, S3. Also disaster recovery, EMR Serverless and Mode Business Analytics. We also own “Loading Dock,” an internal ETL tool that processes petabytes of data per day.
What You’ll Do
We are looking for a Software Development Engineer III (SDEIII) who is passionate about building and delivering internal developer tools and platforms that help grow the foundation of the Mapbox Platform.
As an SDEIII on the Data Platform team, you can expect to:
- Lead the design and development of an internal MLOps platform from the ground up enabling Mapbox to deliver on our AI Navigation roadmap (e.g MapGPT, AI Nav SDK features, and more).
- Support Mapbox Engineers by building data infrastructure and tooling that addresses their needs.
- Work on our Batch and Flink ingestion systems that process terabytes of data a day.
- Simplify, secure, and strengthen Mapbox’s processes and tools for designing, deploying, and monitoring data processing and querying workloads on AWS.
- Contribute to our data processing systems that launch thousands of EMR clusters a day and add to our data lake at petabyte scale.
- Promote a culture of operational excellence by meticulously testing and monitoring our systems and code, and being on-call to support the health of our services.
- Design systems that “see around the corner” to enable the rapid growth of Mapbox
- Document your work and decision-making processes, and lead presentations and discussions in a way that is easy for others to understand.
- Uphold a culture of collaboration, transparency, creativity, inclusion, and data-driven decisions.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Located in the US/Canada Eastern Time Zone.
- 8+ years of relative industry engineering experience.
- Experience designing, building, and maintaining an MLOps platform (SageMaker).
- Passion for developing internal tools and infrastructure for Mapbox Engineers.
- Proven ability to design and develop sophisticated, efficient, secure, and durable data infrastructure on AWS.
- Experience with our tech stack – Java or Scala, Python, Spark, Airflow, Snowflake, and AWS (including SageMaker, Kinesis, EMR, ECS, Fargate)
- Track record of building secure self-service and high-quality tools for developers with a customer-driven mindset.
- A desire to share your expertise through documentation, mentorship, and both written and vocal discussion.
- A desire to work with individuals with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences.
- Autonomy and proactivity around driving work to completion in the face of ambiguity.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders: