Mapbox is the leading real-time location platform for a new generation of location-aware businesses. Mapbox is the only platform that equips organizations with the full set of tools to power the navigation of people, packages, and vehicles everywhere. More than 3.9 million registered developers have chosen Mapbox because of the platform’s flexibility, security, and privacy compliance. Organizations use Mapbox applications, data, SDKs, and APIs to create customized and immersive experiences that delight their customers.
What We Do
The Directions team is made of proud builders of solutions to challenges in the routing space for industries like auto, logistics, outdoors and more. We solve complex geospatial data problems and leverage algorithms and statistical analysis for use cases ranging from turn-by-turn navigation, to delivery route planning for fleets of thousands of trucks. Our services are at the heart of the operations of our customers’ businesses. We get people and products from start to finish effectively and on time, whether it’s delivering meals or going on a road trip. Our customers are primarily developers, like us.
What You’ll Do
We're looking for a leader for our Directions product line and team. You will work with a passionate group of Mapboxers, customers and market makers redefining the way the world moves. You'll set the vision, create the strategy and drive the execution to achieve market success by delighting our customers as we embed navigation into the fabric of their applications.
This would be a great fit if you are a dynamic leader who is passionate about scaling businesses. You sweat the details because the details matter. You understand that the right strategy is critical, but crisp execution and operational excellence is what gets it done. Also, the strategy will change as your solution and the market evolve. Words like ambiguity and blueocean excite you.
You will directly lead product and engineering professionals to build the future and leverage shared services to ensure the success of your solution in the wild. You will be responsible for and take direct ownership over all facets of the solution. You have managed a P&L before and appreciate when to make tradeoffs between speed, scale and profitability. Quality is non-negotiable and not an afterthought for you, but embedded and inherent in everything you do from what you ship to who you hire.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- 7+ years of leadership: You have managed diverse organizations that include engineering and product teams
- Ownership & execution: Own the vision, lead the strategy and guide the team to execute towards building the future of our Directions API’s.
- Organization building: You understand the 10X difference between good and great organizations and strive to be the force multiplier to help your org get there.
- Customer focus: You care deeply about your customers and their problems, and you work tirelessly to innovate on their behalf.
- Growth mindset: Have the humility to accept mistakes, learn and grow from them.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills: You can talk and write about complex ideas concisely to a wide audience.
- Operational excellence: You drive a culture of quality and continuous improvement in your organization
- Data informed mindset: You believe in the value of data informed decision-making and strive to measure things that are not straight forward but essential. You also have the right instincts to make speedy decisions in the absence of perfect & comprehensive data.
- Hire & elevate: Great leaders understand the importance of hiring the best talent and creating a culture where team members can learn & grow with the organization. You demonstrate investment in coaching and stretching colleagues across all levels.
- Experience bringing products to market: You have a proven track record of shipping successful products. You have experience coordinating deadlines, setting pricing, developing a marketing strategy, and enabling support teams.
- Industry experience: You have worked in the Navigation space, ideally within an automotive or logistics context.
- High standards for work: You drive a culture of quality on the teams you work with and know how to drive healthy tension between quality and velocity.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
Our annual base compensation for this role ranges from $269,875 - $365,125 for most US locations and 5% to 10% higher for US locations with a higher cost of labor. Job level and actual compensation will be decided based on factors including, but not limited to, individual qualifications objectively assessed during the interview process (including skills and prior relevant experience, potential impact, and scope of role), market demands, and specific work location. Please discuss your specific work location with your recruiter for more information.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity