Mapbox is the leading real-time location platform for a new generation of location-aware businesses. Mapbox is the only platform that equips organizations with the full set of tools to power the navigation of people, packages, and vehicles everywhere. More than 3.5 million registered developers have chosen Mapbox because of the platform’s flexibility, capability, quality, and reliability. Organizations use Mapbox applications, data, SDKs, and APIs to create customized and immersive experiences that delight their customers.
The Mapbox Platform organization provides the foundational services behind virtually everything we build—compute, microservice infrastructure, identity/access management, billing/payments, developer onboarding, and more. Platform provides the standards and maintains the tools that allow everyone at Mapbox to deliver operationally excellent services, while remaining agile, customer focused, and cost-efficient.
Customers build mission critical systems on the Mapbox platform due to our security & compliance program, secure authentication features, and highly-available cloud infrastructure. We drive efficiency and productivity with developer tools and a data platform that enable engineers to build, deploy, and monitor services and data pipelines at scale. As the foundation of the Mapbox stack, the Platform service organization delivers compounding benefits for the entire company.
What You’ll Do
As the GM of Platform, you will be the single-threaded owner responsible for planning, directing, and coordinating operations of the Developer Tools, Data Tools, Security, Billing, Identity + Authentication, Console teams. You’ll drive the vision & execution for an org including multiple service teams, managers, and PMs. You’ll be responsible for understanding the needs of customers, setting a clear vision and strategy for each service, organizing your team’s roadmaps & day-to-day work, monitoring the quality of services you deliver to customers, and hiring and developing a high performing team.
You will be a highly visible leader who partners with Sales/Legal teams to interface with our most visible customers on the security, reliability, and scalability of our developer platform; works hand-in-hand with our CFO and Finance on our AWS and infrastructure costs and driving cross-organizational efficiencies; partners with our product GMs to deliver innovative solutions that improve our products and data continuously; drive our commitment to operational excellence by developing ord-wide processes for instrumentation and incident response.
In this role you will:
- Lead development of developer console, billing, and payment services at Mapbox. These include signup/activation flow, metering usage services, invoicing/payments, and fraud prevention and pricing plan definition and instrumentation.
- Lead application security of the Mapbox services including Identity and Access Management, service security and certification, and IT security.
- Lead developer tooling and productivity teams responsible for continuous integration and continuous deployment tools (CI/CD).
- Lead data platform tooling to enhance and accelerate AI/ML projects across the company.
- Define the architecture and policies for how we use AWS. This includes multi-account strategy, cross service/account communication.
- Develop and drive adoption of a consistent incident response framework that other teams can follow to ensure we are addressing problems in a consistent and operationally excellent way.
- Hire and develop high caliber and high performing individuals, and continue to build and structure your organization at scale.
- Take ownership of profit and loss for the Platform organization.
What We Believe are Important Traits for this Role
- 10+ years of software development experience.
- 8+ years of management experience including managing cloud platform teams (AWS, GCP, Azure).
- Experience leading security, billing, and developer tools/efficiency functions in previous role(s).
- Proven ability to run engineering teams with accurate, timely delivery, and operate ongoing production services with excellent monitoring, metrics, alarms and incident response.
- Expertise in designing and managing highly-available, distributed systems at scale and through rapid growth.
- Track record of building self-service and high-quality tools for developers with a customer-driven mindset.
- Broad range of experiences and real-world philosophies coaching, mentoring and leading a diverse group of lean/agile software engineers and managers. Strong perspective on professional development and performance management.
- Proficient at leading global teams spanning multiple locations/time zones and executing remotely.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
The US National salary range for this position is $250,000-$310,000, plus equity and benefits. There is an additional location premium included with base salary for candidates in the following locations: San Francisco, New York City, District of Columbia, Seattle, Boston, Los Angeles, Portland, Sacramento, and San Diego.