Mapbox is building a live location platform. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data. Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, tracking your personal best mile on Strava, sending snaps on Snapchat, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world.
We’re looking for someone to assist in the day-to-day transactions as a part of our revenue accounting team and to support our growing global company. You should be excited to help grow a startup and gain accounting experience. We’re looking for an accountant who will thrive in a rapidly growing company and be able to pivot on priorities. Someone who will execute with precision to enable us to scale our current processes through the next stage of our growth. We want someone who’s calm under pressure, efficient, and detail oriented, while still enjoying the uncertainty and ever-changing nature of a high growth company.
What You’ll Do
- Work cross functionally to drive process improvements and automation efforts to streamline accounting operations related to revenue accounting and improve the quality of monthly, quarterly, and annual closes including internal controls
- Provide supporting documentation for internal, external, and other ad-hoc audit requests for areas of responsibility.
- Assist in the order to cash process, reviewing submitted sales orders in our accounting system to ensure proper revenue recognition and compliance
- Review the Accounts Receivable aging and support recommendations for allowances and write offs as appropriate
- Work directly with our sales and account management teams to obtain needed data and reporting to support monthly revenue entries
- Assist the revenue manager with the month end close review process, including month over month and quarter over quarter fluctuation analysis
- Prepare accounting entries and reconciliations related to deferred revenue and unbilled entries
- Act as point of contact in all sales tax and VAT tax related issues, including nexus research, registering in new jurisdictions, and determining taxability for new products
- Maintain and update internal process documentation for existing accounting procedures and policies
- Perform special project, analysis, and ad hoc reporting as needed
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
What We’re Looking For
- BS in Finance or Accounting
- 3+ years of relevant experience
- Comprehension of GAAP and other authoritative guidance
- Netsuite or similar ERP system experience required, specifically a system with an advanced revenue module
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and work on multiple tasks at once
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Results focused while ensuring weekly/monthly billing deadlines are met
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
Pluses, but not required
- CPA with Big 4 experience
- Experience with Stripe, Salesforce, and FloQast
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity