Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending your snaps on Snap, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world. We are the developer platform for location.
What We Do
Mapbox is building a live location platform. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data. Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, tracking your personal best mile on Strava, sending snaps on Snapchat, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps powering those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world.
The Telemetry team works with rich telemetry data to improve our map, power directions, predict traffic, as well as to provide insights into human mobility patterns. The customers of our unique, privacy-centric datasets on traffic patterns and human activity range from major corporations to local governments and NGO; but we are also committed to making data accessible to smaller developers, and work on a number of community-driven and open-source projects. We're a diverse team of backend engineers, data engineers, and data scientists located around the world, but we work closely together, support each other's growth and learning, and share an enthusiasm for deriving interesting and useful insights out of geospatial data.
To see some examples of our work, check out some of our blog posts from the past year:
- Tracking how COVID changed mobility patterns throughout the world
- Shopping and sunbathing: how America responds to quarantine
- Tracking retail recovery using Movement data
- Using Movement data to analyze airport traffic
- How location data becomes traffic data
What You’ll Do
Mapbox is looking for a senior technical manager to lead the development of our Telemetry products. You will be responsible for organizing one or multiple teams’ work, developing the people on the team, and making sure everything we work on is driven by customer needs and has an impact on the overall business.
In this role, you will:
- Lead the vision and execution to extract value from telemetry data through traffic analysis, road network analysis and movement analysis
- Operate the team by guiding tech leads and/or managers to handle day-to-day and hands-on project management
- Combine different datasets and apply machine learning to improve the quality of the data and models that are driven by telemetry data
- Deliver complex, high-impact projects while providing technical expertise and mentorship to your team
- Manage and develop the team through hiring, retaining, mentoring, and continually building the team’s capabilities
- Drive company, product, and team objectives, carrying your team and relevant stakeholders along in the decision-making
- Develop the long-term business strategy driving the team’s work
- Establish and track operational metrics for data products to ensure the team is delivering products that satisfying customer requirements
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Experience building and maintaining complex software development projects that process large volumes of data
- Experience with designing and delivering data products, preferably one for location or mapping
- Fundamental knowledge of machine learning and the unique challenge of software development projects that use AI
- Clear and persuasive communication of complex information to a broad audience, and a commitment to fostering and growing cross-team relationships
- Comfort being vulnerable when you don’t know the answer, and knowing how to ask for help
- Ability to communicate how complex systems work to both engineers as well as customers or business stakeholders
- Ability to take on a business ownership role, and be able to ramp up quickly and operate independently
- Experience facilitating work in ways that counteract unconscious bias
- Commitment to recruiting, building, and retaining a diverse engineering team
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity