Mapbox is building a live location platform. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data. Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, tracking your personal best mile on Strava, sending snaps on Snapchat, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world.
What We Do
The Map Rendering team uses our engineering skills and curiosity to push the boundaries of what’s possible with interactive maps and how people use location technologies in their daily lives. We work on a state-of-the-art web platform for map interaction and visualization used by millions of people around the globe.
What You’ll Do
- Work on mapbox-gl-js, the world’s leading vector map rendering engine.
- Work with cutting-edge browser technologies and an ambitious, modern codebase — using WebGL, Web Workers, ECMAScript with modules, Rollup, and Flow.
- Solve interesting graphics programming, algorithms, and architectural challenges.
- Improve the project’s performance, stability, maintainability and simplicity.
- Work with the Native/Mobile rendering teams to ensure cross-compatibility of maps across all platforms.
- Experiment with new visualization techniques and see them benefit millions of people in consumer mapping applications.
What We Believe are Important Traits for this Role:
- Curiosity, enthusiasm, eagerness to solve challenging technical problems in the geo and data visualization space using emerging technologies.
- Empathy and kindness; willingness to learn from different perspectives and patience to help others grow.
- Strong communication skills and ability to collaborate effectively with distributed teams.
Helpful experience that is a plus but not a requirement:
- Graphics programming (OpenGL, WebGL)
- Linear algebra
- Native development (C++, mobile SDKs)
- Location technologies (maps, GIS)
- Maintaining or contributing to open source projects.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity