Mapbox is building a live location platform. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data. Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, tracking your personal best mile on Strava, sending snaps on Snapchat, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world.
What We Do
Mapbox gathers anonymized data from over 700 million monthly active users to create a living map of the world. The Mapbox AI Mapping and Roads team uses machine learning to extract meaningful information from these raw datasets - GPS telemetry data, aerial and satellite imagery, and image detections from our Vision SDK. We create the world’s highest-quality and most up-to-date routing map in order to power Mapbox’s solutions for automotive, logistics, and routing.
What You'll Do
We're looking for a Product Manager to partner with a passionate group of engineers, data scientists, and a wide variety of customers and internal stakeholders. You'll drive key product decisions, manage customer priorities, lead customer conversations, and launch new features. You will own product, roadmap, and data sourcing for the AI-powered pipelines that create the world’s fastest updating routing-quality multi-source global basemap.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Become an expert in mapping, road networks and attributes, and ML-powered pipelines that build these dynamic basemaps
- Influence the product roadmap literally from the ground up. All our customer-facing features begin with high quality map data.
- Deeply understand complex geo-spatial datasets and define KPIs to measure them in a way that reflects our customer experiences
- Regularly engage our customers via video conversations, emails, and in person visits to understand their needs, as well as validate our proposed solutions.
- Build strategic relationships across the wider data landscape: data partners, vendors, and consumers. Own the strategy for Mapbox data partners, and see these partnerships through to execution.
- Own communications with stakeholders from project start to end. In addition to our customers, you will work closely with Engineering Managers, Engineers, General Managers, the Support team, Sales team and our TAMs.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- 4+ years of proven product management experience and ability to design and develop sophisticated, innovative, efficient, and durable solutions to complex technical and business problems; SaaS, mobility/mapping/GIS, AI/ML experience, or enterprise B2B experience strongly preferred.
- An analytical approach: you have strong SQL skills and always use data to properly evaluate the success or failure of features, as well as guide your next steps.
- Tolerance for ambiguity and intrinsic motivation: you gravitate towards chaos. You can weed out what’s important in highly ambiguous spaces, and juggle a variety of competing priorities.
- Strong written communication skills: every good plan starts with a great document. You can talk and write about complex ideas concisely to a wide audience and walk through decisions with teammates and collaborators. We work backwards, which means that we start product development by writing an FAQ.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity