Mapbox is building a live location platform. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data. Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, tracking your personal best mile on Strava, sending snaps on Snapchat, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world.
What We Do
Mapbox gathers anonymized data from over 700 million monthly active users to create a living map of the world. The Mapbox Roads team uses machine learning to extract meaningful information from these raw datasets - GPS data, aerial and satellite imagery, and image detections from our Vision SDK. We create the world’s highest-quality and most up-to-date routing map and power Mapbox’s solutions for automotive, logistics, and routing.
What You'll Do
We're looking for a Product Manager to partner with a passionate group of engineers and a wide variety of customers and internal stakeholders. You'll drive key product decisions, manage customer priorities, lead customer conversations, and launch new features.
We're looking for motivated, data-driven thinkers who are fascinated by what our customers need and where they — and the team — are getting stuck. You like to experiment, but love finishing projects even more. You know how to communicate, collaborate, and think about software as a collective effort. You have strong opinions, loosely held. You keep an open mind and welcome debates that surface multiple perspectives. Once a decision is made, you put your personal preferences aside and commit and execute together. In this role, you can expect to:
- Define the near and long-term strategy for the team, and socialize it with stakeholders.
- Translate strategy into a tactical execution plan.
- Set KPIs and other metrics for measuring success of our products. Pull these metrics, analyze results, and synthesize learnings to support continuous data improvement.
- Regularly engage our customers via video conversations, emails, and in person visits to understand their needs, as well as validate our proposed solutions.
- Build strategic relationships across the wider data landscape: data partners, vendors, and consumers. Own the strategy for Mapbox data partners, and see some of these partnerships through to completion
- Streamline stakeholder communications from start to end of a project. In addition to our customers, you can expect to work closely with Engineering Managers, Engineers, General Managers, the Support team, Sales team and our TAMs.
- Build up and share product knowledge across teams, contributing to best practices that grow the entire product team within Mapbox.
- Uphold a culture of collaboration, transparency, creativity, inclusion, and data-driven decisions.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- 4+ years of proven product management experience and ability to design and develop sophisticated, innovative, efficient, and durable solutions to complex technical and business problems; SaaS, mobility/mapping/GIS, or enterprise experience strongly preferred.
- An analytical approach: you have strong SQL skills and always use data to properly evaluate the success or failure of features, as well as guide your next steps.
- Tolerance for ambiguity and intrinsic motivation: you gravitate towards chaos. You can weed out what’s important in highly ambiguous spaces, and juggle a variety of competing priorities. Even so, you are proactive around driving solutions to completion.
- Strong written and vocal communication skills: you can talk and write about complex ideas concisely to a wide audience and walk through decisions with teammates and collaborators. We work backwards, which means that we start product development by writing an FAQ. Writing documents early on and clarify how the world will see the product - not just how we think about it internally.
- You have a desire to share your expertise through documentation, mentorship, and discussion.
- Devotion to systematization, repeatability, efficiency, and measurement: processes, data, and nailing the details are key to how we work.
- Empathy and collaboration: you communicate effectively with others and earn credibility quickly. You’re comfortable giving and receiving feedback in the open. You have a desire to work with individuals with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences.
- Solid business/strategic intuition: you are able to identify the right business opportunities, make prioritization calls, and devise clear action plans.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity