Mapbox powers location across all major industries. Whether it comes to understanding how your state voted in the recent presidential election, or mapping covid vaccine distribution in your neighborhood, or understanding the path of a hurricane while planning your next roadtrip, maps are essential to our understanding of the world. Maps constantly evolve based on new learnings from millions of sensors and crowdsourced data. Mapbox powers grocery orders on Instacart, tracks your personal best mile on Strava, tag photos with your dog on Snap, and thousands of other day-to-day experiences. Mapbox is the developer platform for building location-based services and apps that reach more than 600 million active users every single day.
We are looking for a seasoned marketing leader who is equally comfortable diving deep with customers to understand their success stories as they are diving deep into the metrics from our website and campaigns to understand the nuances of the customer journey. Marketing at Mapbox adds momentum to our flywheel by telling the stories that demonstrate how developers and Enterprises can improve their businesses in measurable ways using location technology. As part of this key role you get to shape the overall marketing strategy at Mapbox and how it aligns to Sales, Product and Partners.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Customer focus. You care deeply about your customers and their problems, and you work tirelessly to innovate on their behalf. We are successful when our customers are successful, so our marketing is focused on telling the story of customer innovation. You are obsessed with customer outcomes and turning one-off wins into repeatable business.
- Scope of Influence. You will partner with sales product, engineering, design & key stakeholders to help drive key marketing activities that grow the business.
- Data informed mindset: You believe in the value of data informed decision making and strive to measure things that are not straight forward but essential. You also have the right instincts to make speedy decisions in the absence of perfect & comprehensive data.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. You can talk and write about complex ideas concisely to a wide audience. You know the impact a good story can have and can command the basic ingredients of narrative. You can exhibit a journalist communication style that resonates with developers, is based on facts, leverages metrics, and is free of hyperbole
- Know what good design looks like: You might not have a design background, but you need to know what good design looks like, and set a high bar for visual and UX design.
- Operational excellence: You drive a culture of quality and continuous improvement in your organization. Customers, investors, and the general public follow our communications carefully. You run an efficient, yet seamless process and hold a high bar for quality for anything shared with the general public.
- High standards for work. You drive a culture of quality on the teams you work with and know how to drive healthy tension between quality and velocity.
What You'll Do
- Develop and iterate on our marketing strategy to align with company goals and budgetary requirements.
- Build a team of marketers with appropriate tools and processes that execute against the strategy with your coaching and development, with a focus on orchestrating processes and resources.
- Create mechanisms that allow product managers, engineers, sales, solution architects, and others to reach their audience with high quality messaging across multiple channels.
- Enhance Brand Marketing practices and ensure maximum amplification of Brand value in working with Web, Product/UX and Field Marketing
- Ensure Mapbox’ public persona aligns with company goals for tone, revenue, citizenship across website/SEO/ad strategy and spend, blogs, social, developer community
- Create a marketing training and certification program so that Mapbox team members can earn approval for various levels of public communication including PR, AR and IR
- Maximize the power of customers stories to grow identify customer referenceable/ repeatable business
- Build a demand generation engine that delivers targeted, data-driven campaigns across multiple channels, including web, email, sales, social, live/virtual events, and ads.
- Establish key metrics that illuminate key aspects of marketing efficacy and health and represent that position as needed to company leadership.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for public relations agencies and all Mapbox public messaging.
- Build the developer relations team, who oversee the blog, social media, and GitHub channels
- Operate the launch program, providing the framework that helps services launch and communicate about new services and features effectively and on time
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity