Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending your snaps on Snap, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world. We are the developer platform for location.
What We Do
At Mapbox, data is foundational. It flows into every product we sell - maps, navigation, or search - and ultimately to our customers. The Mapbox Roads team builds global road networks layer-by-layer by using machine learning to extract meaningful information from unstructured, raw data - such as GPS probes, street level imagery, or feedback from our Vision SDK.
What You'll Do
Mapbox is looking for a hands-on, technical manager to lead the development of our roads data layers. You will be responsible for organizing team’s day-to-day work, developing the people on the team, and making sure everything we work on is driven by customer needs and has impact on the overall business.
In this role, you will:
- Deliver complex, high-impact projects while providing technical expertise and mentorship to your team
- Operate the team day-to-day and be hands-on in project management
- Manage and develop the team through hiring, retaining, mentoring, and continually building the team’s capabilities
- Drive company, product, and team objectives, carrying your team and relevant stakeholders along in the decision-making
- Develop the long-term business strategy driving the team’s work
- Establish and track operational metrics for data products to ensure the team is delivering products that satisfying customer requirements
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Experience building and maintaining complex software development projects that process large volumes of data
- Experience with designing and delivering data products, preferably one for location or mapping
- Fundamental knowledge of machine learning and the unique challenge of software development projects that use AI
- Clear and persuasive communication of complex information to a broad audience, and a commitment to fostering and growing cross-team relationships
- Previous experience building and leading a high-performing team that delivered high-impact and high-value work
- Ability to take on a business ownership role, and be able to ramp up quickly and operate independently
- Experience facilitating work in ways that counteract unconscious bias
- Commitment to recruiting, building, and retaining a diverse engineering team
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders: