Mapbox is building a live location platform. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data. Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, tracking your personal best mile on Strava, sending snaps on Snapchat, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world.
What we do
The Points of Interest (POI) team at Mapbox is responsible for providing a complete, accurate collection of the places people want to go, with all the information users need to get there. We handle the problem end-to-end. On the data engineering side, this means sourcing input datasets and deduplicating them to produce a whole greater than the sum of its parts. On the information retrieval front, we operate our POI Search API and infrastructure, powering search requests from thousands of customers and hundreds of millions of end-users every month.
The POI team works in a domain where precision and recall are carefully balanced. We deal with challenges in normalizing, comparing, aggregating, and canonicalizing our datasets. After we produce that data, we must respond to end-user queries, with high availability and low latency, with results that balance relevance in accordance to the query, proximity, user engagement, and notability of our POIs. To deliver an excellent end-user experience, we track progress by measuring our coverage, completeness, and accuracy, as well as industry-standard information retrieval metrics.
What you’ll do
As a software engineer working on POI search quality, you’ll be responsible for, and expected to:
- Modify our Elasticsearch-based POI search engine to improve search quality
- Research query patterns to improve our query understanding and influence our query strategy
- Improve industry-standard information retrieval metrics for POI search, across dozens of countries and languages
- Research and develop technical plans to proactively identify problems in each area of search quality
- Collaborate with the Address and Federation Search teams in their quality efforts
- Rigorously test your proposed changes
- Use your software development and operations experience to rigorously test your changes and release them uneventfully
What we believe are important traits for this role
- Experience with Elasticsearch relevance and performance tuning
- Experience measuring search or information retrieval quality, or experience in data analytics
- Ability to use software development experience to onboard onto the POI search problem space to make informed decisions of what to improve
- Background or interest in statistical methods and data science helpful, or a desire to use your software engineering skills to further specialize in this area
- Experience developing and operationalizing machine learning solutions on information retrieval and analytics log data sets
- Experience with our tech stack (Spark, Airflow/Dagster, Python, and/or node.js, Docker, AWS) is a plus, as is experience operating applications on cloud-based big data platforms like Qubole or AWS EMR
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity