What We Do
At Mapbox, our mission is to empower innovators who build location-driven experiences. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as the Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Amazon, looking for a local event on Facebook, sending your snaps on Snap, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world. We are the developer platform for location.
What You'll Do
Would you like to join one of the fastest-growing organizations within Mapbox and help customers of all industries and sizes gain the most value and service from Mapbox? We’re looking for a seasoned Technical Account Manager to support our customers’ creative and transformative innovation across all our technologies, including navigation, maps, search, and vision. This is an opportunity to be the technical advisor to the customer and ‘voice of the customer’ back into Mapbox.
As a Technical Account Manager you will directly influence how our largest customers use Mapbox. You will help executives deliver high impact transformations. You will interface with solution architects to understand business drivers and assess application portfolios ensuring that navigation solutions are highly scalable, flexible and easy to use across all form factors in the industry. You will serve as an advocate for your customer and help shape the future roadmap of Mapbox services at the customer and within Mapbox.
Ideal candidates have Mapbox knowledge and extensive experience managing support and operations that have top line revenue impact for our customers. In this role you will develop and execute on an operational launch plan and ongoing support strategy that helps our customers continue to grow and be successful on the Mapbox platform.
You mush have 5~8 years of working experience in technical account management or technical sales with Internet companies developing consumer applications.
You must have proven ability to explain transformational concepts to executive decision makers and influence their technology strategy. Finally, you must be a mentor and role model for your colleagues.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Technically adept: understands customer business goals, technical solutions implemented, and potential project risks from timelines or resources. Stays abreast of tech changes with regular onsites and check-ins with the team. Can easily explain customer solutions and goals to Mapbox product and engineering teams, and articulate why certain features may or may not help customers.
- Empathetic: makes customers feel heard and understood even when answers are disappointing. Friendly and enjoyable to talk to, encourages plentiful & sustained engagement from the customer, doesn’t pass on unnecessary or excessive work to the customer e.g. to repeatedly explain/onboard new service teams, PM, etc Feels like part of the customer's team.
- Proactive in advocating for customers internally. Provides updates on new features and tracks down bug fixes and feature request updates without customer requesting. Discovers and shares betas, features, etc that customer would be interested in. Strong desire to tackle hard technical problems and proven ability do so with little or no direct daily supervision.
- Builds relationships: regularly facilitates direct relationships between customer and product/engineering teams. Takes responsibility for ensuring these meetings are productive and not unnecessary for either party.
- Internal Advocate: represents the customer internally, pushes for features and work without the customer being present, has strong internal relationships that make this possible.
- Delivers results: makes sure customer expectations are set appropriately and commitments are met on time by creating cross team project plans and maintaining cadence of execution with milestones, communications and appropriate escalations. Accessible in a way that is convenient for customers. Provides escalation paths to be reached in case of urgent issues.
- Excellent communication skills: email, phone interpersonal and presentation skills; concise, actionable, and strategic communication style. Ability to adjust from internal to developer to C-level communications, Empathy, grace, economy, and conviction when expressing ideas and feedback. English language proficiency is a plus.
- Learner Mindset: Ability to learn technical content and context quickly. Devotion to systematization, repeatability, efficiency, and measurement.
- Strong Organizational Skills: Ability to track and execute upon the smallest details, while never losing sight of the big-picture priorities and goals. Ability to juggle a variety of customer priorities (and reprioritize constantly) and work independently.
What we value
Alignment to our core values, which stretch beyond this role, are necessary for Mapbox leaders.
In addition, we
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity