Mapbox is building a live location platform. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data. Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, tracking your personal best mile on Strava, sending snaps on Snapchat, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world.
The sales operations team helps Mapbox make intelligent decisions by analyzing data, forecasting outcomes, spotting patterns, and making recommendations on how to accelerate growth through sales process improvements, marketing activity, and pricing strategy.
As Director of Sales Operations, you will directly improve Mapbox sales team productivity and effectiveness by collaborating across the business, from Sales leadership and our Enterprise Applications team to product and engineering organizations. Your work will touch nearly every part of our business - from what we sell, to whom, and how. You’ll turn business strategy and customer intuition into actions that optimize our sales funnel and achieve growth. Your impact will sharpen our competitive edge, enhance the effectiveness of our sellers, and achieve consistent, predictable sales results.
What You’ll Do
- Build and lead a team of analysts and strategists who drive growth with strategies informed by data
- Partner with the stakeholders at multiple levels to analyze and optimize every aspect of the commercial funnel - from sales process, forecasting, pricing, and marketing
- Advise product managers on pricing strategy for their products and services
- Monitor commercial KPIs on a weekly basis; provide insights and recommendations for any anomalies
- Lead commercial deal desk to support sales on custom deal structures, product configurations, and business terms to drive agreements, while ensuring compliance with approval policies.
- Design sales compensation plans that drive the desired outcome
- Develop sales hiring budget, compensation design, quotas, and plan administration, ensuring they are aligned with organization's goals.
- Work with sales to monitor funnel and design programs that improve health
- Create and contribute to briefings for the Chief Financial Officer and Board of Directors regarding commercial performance
- Work with the VP of Sales to drive sales hiring and compensation design, budget forecasting, managing sales quotas, and plan administration ensuring they are aligned with organization goals and culture.
- Work with team leads to track and improve the overall pipeline funnel, from lead → closed. Analyze campaign performance to understand where to invest for growth. Manage forecasting process including status updates and reporting on forecasts and tracking revenue plan to actual. Ensure availability of relevant pipeline and forecast reports and dashboards to sales management.
- Manage day-to-day operational tasks including, but not limited to, headcount allocation, Salesforce.com data quality, and optimization of sales execution workflows. Improve processes and increase efficiencies for the sales organization as well as for the sales operations group. Establishing processes, sales policies, business requirements, and data governance to ensure accurate forecasting. Identify and execute on pipeline and sales efficiency initiatives.
- Manage Sales Enablement programming to accelerate time to productivity and success.
- Create briefings for the Chief Financial Officer and Board of Directors.
- Manage, analyze and summarize the weekly Sales Forecast.
- Manage Deal Desk operations to support sales on pricing, deal structuring, product configuration, and business terms to drive agreement closure, including end-to-end deal review process and ensuring compliance with published sales and business approval policies.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Familiarity with modern analytics tools including databases (Redshift, Snowflake), BI tools (Tableau, Mode Analytics, Looker, etc), and languages (Python, R, SQL)
- Mapbox has enormous amounts of data. You love thinking about data in multiple dimensions and finding the hidden patterns.
- Customer focused. You know data is a powerful tool to grow any business and you’re excited to help our customers transform their business in the same way.
- Be scrappy, move fast. You know insights often the most valuable if we act on them quickly
- Operational Excellence. Data integrity is vital to providing sounds analysis.
- Scope of influence. You know how to drive consensus across a large group using data
- Hire and Develop. You know how to build a lean team of experts that think about data
- 8-10 years Sales Ops experience
- Experience successfully working cross-functionally to ensure the sales organization’s efficiency and success
- Excellent communication skills - verbal and written
- Experience leading a team of Sales Operations Managers and Analysts
- Experience leading high performance teams to consistently deliver
- Possesses business acumen, strong analytics, troubleshooting, problem-solving, and project management skills
- Works effectively in an unstructured environment requiring new perspectives and creative approaches
- A self-starter, motivated leader who works well autonomously
- Platform-as-a-Service and B2B experience preferred
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity