Mapbox is building a live location platform. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data. Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, tracking your personal best mile on Strava, sending snaps on Snapchat, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world.
Who We Are
The search engine and API enables customers to search for a place in the world, whether that’s by providing a longitude and latitude pair, or by typing the name of your favorite local restaurant. The problem space is an interesting mix of geospatial data, data analysis, search algorithms, performance, and infrastructure challenges.
Search is a critical component to our customers’ applications, and a major partner to the Maps and Navigation organizations at Mapbox. Whether you’re trying to find a place among the vast amount of data on a global map, or to find the exact location of a venue a few miles down the road, search is in the critical path of so many of our customers’ experiences.
What You’ll Do
As a frontend engineer on Search you will be giving a visual representation to our Search Engine & APIs. In this role you can expect to:
- Design and implement web applications demonstrating the capabilities of our search products and winning business.
- Drive the design and development of internal and external tooling to enable the understanding search quality and performance
- Collaborate across multiple teams to iterate on designs and applications to optimize workflows
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- 2+ years of experience as a front end or full stack developer
- Experience with a modern web frameworks (React, Vue, Angular)
- Familiarity with front end best practices
- Experience with source control and project management
- Strong English verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with Cloud Services (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Experience with front end quality tools (page speed, accessibility)
- Experience with testing frameworks (Jest, Mocha, Sinon, Chai, Nock)
- Experience with data visualization tools (D3, Plotly)
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity