Mapbox is building a live location platform. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data. Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, tracking your personal best mile on Strava, sending snaps on Snapchat, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world.
What We Do
At Mapbox, the Release Engineering team is responsible for Deployfriend, an internal product that provides the singular way all Mapbox developers safely, reliably, and efficiently automate code releases. This includes deploying new code to our containerized Compute Platform and in the near future will include releasing Mobile SDKs to our external customers and designing a reliable, safe deploy-on-merge process. Our team empowers smooth functioning of CI/CD processes across Mapbox day-in and day-out. New features we build have a major impact on developer effectiveness and delight.
About the team
We are proud to be a team with balanced gender ratio and non-majority representation. We are also distributed across several US states, including WA, AZ, and VT (as well as British Columbia, Canada), and so we are fluent in remote collaboration practices. Pre-COVID, we would gather our team for in-person sprints several times a year at one of our main Mapbox offices, and we can’t wait to do this again in the future.
Our team is constantly striving to improve our on-call systems and therefore the sustainability of life as on-call engineers. Because our domains are complex and mission-critical, we practice pair-programming and careful code review daily to create an environment of knowledge-sharing and supportive collaboration. We believe these practices fuel our ability to achieve frequent and uneventful deploys of improvements and new features.
What you’ll do
You will join our team in order to advance operational improvements, accelerate feature development, and drive adoption of our Deployfriend product. Operational improvements include building systems for observability of releases that can be consumed by teams to understand the details of their release frequency, duration, and failure/regression rate. Feature development includes building core functionality to enable new features for all developers, like deploy-on-merge or traffic-shaping during deployment. Driving adoption looks like working with teams across Mapbox to adopt new features like these, or to envision, design and implement other new features. In this role, you can expect to:
- Promote a culture of operational excellence by being on-call and meticulously testing and monitoring all changes you and the team make to our systems
- Support internal customers by not only shipping features to our products that address their needs but also by working across teams advising on optimal implementations
- Write complex modules in Node.js and Go languages, dealing with gRPC, protobuf, and AWS services like CodePipeline, CodeBuild, SQS, and Lambda.
- Document your work and decision-making processes with excellent context on tickets, detailed explanations of code changes, and by leading presentations and discussions in a way that ensures knowledge is shared transparently with other engineers.
What we believe are important traits for this role
Critical traits are:
- Strong proficiency in testing practices and thorough documentation skills
- Respect for and interest in collaborating with individuals with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences
- Capable of working on highly ambiguous problems and driving them to completion through focus and being proactive to ask for the context you need from teammates and customers
- A desire to share your expertise through documentation, mentorship, and both written and verbal discussion
- Ability to develop on complex systems on top of AWS either by bringing prior AWS experience or the ability to apply your experiences with other cloud providers.
Ideal, additional traits are:
- Expertise in using AWS services like Cloudwatch, Codebuild, Cloudtrail, Athena, ECS, EC2, IAM, lambda, and cloudformation
- Experience with Node.js and Go
- A drive and willingness to venture into new territory as problem-solving requires it (learning new languages, tools, or approaches as needed)
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Colorado only: Minimum salary of $90,000 + equity + benefits.