Mapbox is building a live location platform. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data. Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, tracking your personal best mile on Strava, sending snaps on Snapchat, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world.
What We Do
At Mapbox, all the APIs that power our public-facing Maps, Navigation, and Search products, as well as countless internal systems, run as containers on a centralized Compute Platform. Our team manages this compute platform, making our role critical to the cost efficiency, performance, and reliability of all Mapbox products. The Compute Platform is built on top of AWS's ECS container orchestration service, employs novel uses of AWS EC2 Spot, integrates with Fargate Spot, and runs in over 9 AWS regions.
In addition to managing our Compute Platform, our team operates a centralized authentication gateway, based on Envoy, for all Mapbox internal web applications. This product has proven so valuable that in 2021 we are planning on growing the team in order to build and operate a centralized authentication gateway for all Mapbox public-facing APIs. It will require the utmost skill and teamwork to design and implement a gateway with exceptional performance, reliability, and observability. Overall, the products and services we provide are designed to empower Mapbox engineering teams to run the APIs that are core to Mapbox’s business with cost efficiency, scalability, and operational excellence.
About the team
We are proud to be a team with balanced gender ratio and non-majority representation. We are also distributed across several US states, including CA, WA, and AZ, and so we are fluent in remote collaboration practices. Pre-COVID, we would gather our team for in-person sprints several times a year at one of our main Mapbox offices, and we can’t wait to do this again in the future.
Our team is constantly striving to improve our on-call systems and therefore the sustainability of life as on-call engineers. Because our domains are complex and mission-critical, we practice pair-programming and careful code review daily to create an environment of knowledge-sharing and supportive collaboration. We believe these practices fuel our ability to achieve frequent and uneventful deploys of improvements and new features.
What you’ll do
Mapbox is looking for an experienced engineering manager to support and grow the API Infrastructure team. In this role, you can expect to:
- Work collaboratively with other engineering leaders at Mapbox to evolve and communicate the API Infrastructure team role and strategy
- Operate the team day-to-day and be hands-on in project management and planning
- Support each of your engineers through weekly one-on-ones
- Establish, track, and iterate on operational metrics to ensure the team is delivering products that meet or exceed expectations
- Manage and develop the team through hiring, retaining, mentoring, and continually building the team’s capabilities
- Foster a culture of collaboration, innovation, inclusion, and data-driven decisions
What we believe are important traits for this role
- 2+ years of experience managing an engineering team
- Experience hiring and onboarding engineers
- Familiarity with on-call systems
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Eagerness to work in a fast-moving, growing company
- The ability to weigh conflicting constraints and priorities and make the appropriate tradeoffs
- Commitment to recruiting and retaining a diverse engineering team
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity