Mapbox is building a live location platform. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data. Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, tracking your personal best mile on Strava, sending snaps on Snapchat, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world.
What we do
The Imagery team curates and maintains Mapbox’s raster tilesets. To do so, we build and deploy image processing pipelines, data catalogs, and supporting tooling. As a team, we come from different backgrounds, but we share an enthusiasm for working together to make ever more accurate, beautiful, and efficient maps. Along with large commercial customers, we’re proud to enable smaller developers and work on a number of community-driven and open-source projects. Mapbox imagery provides a crisp visualization layer for all of our services, built on top of a library of commercial and openly licensed imagery.
Some blog posts about our work over the last year:
- 3D Satellite Maps: Updating 135 million km² of high-resolution imagery + launching GL JS v2
- Coast to coast, updated 50 cm satellite imagery for the US
- Updated Aerial Imagery in the US
- How we update Mapbox Satellite
- European open aerial update
What You’ll Do
You will be responsible for measuring and improving the quality of the mapbox.satellite tileset by enhancing existing data and handling new sources. You will work with the team to develop a deep understanding of customers’ needs, and support the mechanisms by which we serve imagery to them. In a given week, you could find yourself serving as a subject-matter expert for our Support and Technical Account Manager teams, improving the reliability and transparency of our data catalogs, and helping the Imagery team discuss and make build/buy decisions. You can expect to:
- Collaborate with sales and product teams as they solve user problems and implement features related to our imagery products.
- Participate in code and design reviews, bringing experience and insight to bear on technical challenges.
- Teach what you know, acting as a mentor when appropriate, while staying open to a process of constant learning.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Ability to write approachable, performant code with comprehensive tests and thorough documentation.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Discipline in managing your own schedule, strong organizational skills, and attention to detail.
- Willingness to take ownership and see results through.
- Dedication to passing on the knowledge you’ve gained to others through pair programming, code reviews, demos, devlogs (internal technical retrospectives), and blog posts.
- Comfort being vulnerable when you don’t know the answer, and knowing how to ask for help.
You will need strong skills in at least two of the following areas, which form the foundation of our technical stack. We don’t expect anyone to be an expert in all areas. However, familiarity with more than two is a bonus, and you should be ready to learn any of them. In the bigger picture, curiosity about spatial data and our planet is highly encouraged, as is mentoring aptitude or experience.
- Python – NumPy, Pandas, Streamlit
- Distributed processing pipelines – ECS, Spark, Airflow, Dask
- Geospatial databases – PostgreSQL, PostGIS, RDS, Athena
- Cloud-native geospatial – GDAL, Rasterio, COG, STAC
- Image processing – machine learning–based analytics, medical or scientific image analytics, remote sensing, computer vision
- Experience working with very large datasets – statistical analysis, quality control, optimizing storage
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity