The Maps API team builds and maintains the server-side applications responsible for creating and distributing Mapbox maps. Thousands of customers use our services to reliably handle billions of requests every day. The systems we maintain dynamically scale in response to global events and enable designers, developers, and analysts to create and share maps we’ve never dreamed of. Delivering maps means delivering a model of the world that captures the complexity of the world – writing systems, fonts, local regulations, global boundary disputes. And it changes in realtime at the speed of the world.
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to join our team and work collaboratively across Mapbox to develop systems that will solve these problems and scale into the future. Your technical skills and leadership will drive the development and operational excellence of most-trafficked APIs at Mapbox and the distributed data processing pipelines used by internal and external customers to turn data into maps.
What You’ll Do
Mapbox is looking for a hands-on, technical manager to lead the development Mapbox Maps APIs. You will be responsible for organizing team’s day-to-day work, developing the people on the team, and aligning our work to customer needs. In this role, you will:
- Operate the team day-to-day and be hands-on in project management and sprint planning
- Manage SRE responsibilities for on-call and related responsibilities
- Empathize with internal and external customers, and deliver features that address their needs
- Manage and develop the team through hiring, retaining, mentoring, and continually building your team’s reports skills, either through your own guidance or by proactively finding them mentors
- Drive company, product, and team objectives, carrying your team and relevant stakeholders along in the decision-making
- Develop the long-term business strategy driving the team’s work
- Establish, track, and iterate on operational metrics for to ensure the team is delivering products that satisfying customer requirements.
- Determine best engineering practices and promote them within the team and across Mapbox
- Foster a culture of collaboration, innovation, diversity, and data-driven decisions on the team
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Strong opinions on ergonomic, developer-friendly RESTful HTTP APIs
- Expertise in designing, maintaining, and scaling highly-available distributed systems through rapid growth
- Crisp and compelling communication of complex information to a broad audience, and a commitment to fostering and growing cross-team relationships
- Previous experience building and leading a high-performing team that delivered high-impact and high-value work
- Experience facilitating work in ways that counteract unconscious bias
- Commitment to recruiting and retaining a diverse engineering team
- Proven ability to design and develop sophisticated, innovative, efficient, and durable applications on AWS
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders: