Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as The Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending your snaps on Snapchat, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world. We are the developer platform for location.
What We Do
Navigation SDK serves customers with use cases ranging from turn-by-turn navigation in electric vehicles to delivery route planning for fleets of thousands of trucks. Our services are often at the heart of the operations of our customers’ businesses. We get users from point A to point B effectively and on time, whether it’s delivering meals, servicing medical equipment, or commuting to work.
Navigation Services include our core routing engine, API services, mobile SDKs, and driver application. Our routing engine is built using C++ for performance and flexibility, with the same core engine powering our server-side APIs as well as our mobile SDK for on-device offline routing. Development on navigation often requires working at multiple levels of the stack: from the native C++ level, to the API and infrastructure level, to the Swift and Kotlin codebases. Members of our Navigation team become deeply familiar with routing data structures and how real-world constructs are represented in map data structures: from GPS traces and location data to metadata for highway exits, one way signs, truck weights and bridge heights.
Our products power experiences and operations for customers like BMW, Porsche, Doordash and Instacart. Read about Mapbox Navigation on our blog: https://blog.mapbox.com/tagged/navigation
What You'll Do
Mapbox is seeking a strong, technical engineering manager to lead our US-based Navigation SDK team through an amazing period of growth. The Navigation SDK team is responsible for our Android and iOS Navigation SDKs, which are used by some of the largest transportation companies in the world. From automotive companies to global logistics companies, millions of drivers rely on Mapbox to help them find the fastest, easiest (and sometimes most scenic) way to their destination.
If you are seeking a new opportunity to lead a high growth, fast-paced, large impact team, look no further. This is your final destination. In this role, you will continue to grow your technical leadership while you:
- Provide strategic direction and innovation in the design and implementation of the Mobile SDK suite’s capabilities on iOS and Android
- Manage and develop the team through hiring, retaining, mentoring, and continually building the team’s capabilities
- Drive company, product, and team objectives, carrying your team along in the decision-making
- Work closely with product to figure out what our customers need, and develop a strategic plan to address their pain
- Foster a culture of collaboration, innovation, inclusion and data-driven decisions on the team
- Help your team members and direct reports learn new skills, either through your own guidance or by proactively finding them mentors
- Develop the long-term business strategy and drive the team’s work product
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Experience leading and mentoring a high performing engineering team (preference to leading mixed teams spanning Android and iOS)
- Ability to drive ambitious projects on time
- Experience designing and developing complex mobile software with strong performance requirements
- Facility with metrics, data to support decisions and building robust products
- Strong points of view on processes, team organisation, and project planning
- Comfortable giving (and receiving) critical feedback
- Strong emotional intelligence and consensus building skills is a must
Of course, if you don’t have experience with every single item on the list, that’s okay. We’re much more concerned with getting the right person for the job, rather than one who checks all the boxes.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity