Whether it comes to understanding how your state voted in the recent presidential election, or mapping covid vaccine distribution in your neighborhood or understanding the path of a hurricane while planning your next roadtrip, maps are essential to our understanding of the world. Maps have certainly evolved a great deal since the time Magellan set voyage on Nao Victoria. Maps are no longer static and constantly evolve based on new learnings from millions of sensors and crowdsourced data. And search is at the heart of it and is often the starting point for most customer use cases. We help power grocery orders on Instacart, track your personal best mile on Strava, tag photos with your dog on Snap and thousands of other day to day experiences. Mapbox is the goto developer platform for building location based services that reach more than ~900 million active users every single day.
We are looking for a seasoned engineering leader to help lead the search organization into the next phase of growth. We are looking for someone equally comfortable with blue ocean thinking to build the next big thing as well as rolling up your sleeves to understand how one feature score can prove to be the difference between a successful and an abandoned search session. We take pride in diving deep to truly understand user experiences and obsess about making every detail count to delight our customers. We are looking for someone who has scaled organizations and is comfortable navigating through ambiguous situations in an environment of rapid growth. As part of this key leadership role, you get to shape the future of location search and expand into new frontiers of search services.
Key traits for the role:
- Ownership & execution: Own the technical vision, lead the strategy and guide the team to execute towards building the future of search.
- Organization building: You understand the 10X difference between good and great engineering organizations and strive to be the force multiplier to help your org get there.
- Customer focus. You care deeply about your customers and their problems, and you work tirelessly to innovate on their behalf.
- Growth mindset: Have the humility to accept mistakes, learn and grow from them.
- Partnership. You get to partner with product, design & key stakeholders to help drive key search decisions that influence the business.
- Strong written and vocal communication skills. You can talk and write about complex ideas concisely to a wide audience.
- Operational excellence: You drive a culture of quality and continuous improvement in your organization
- Data informed mindset: You believe in the value of data informed decision making and strive to measure things that are not straight forward but essential. You also have the right instincts to make speedy decisions in the absence of perfect & comprehensive data.
- Hire & elevate: Great leaders understand the importance of hiring the best talent and creating a culture where team members can learn & grow with the organization. You demonstrate investment in coaching and stretching peers across all levels.
- Experience bringing products to market: You have a proven track record of shipping successful products. You have experience coordinating deadlines, setting pricing, developing a marketing strategy, and enabling support teams.
What We Believe are Important Knowledge & Experiences for This Role
- 10+ years in engineering leadership experience with at least 5+ years in managing engineering managers.
- Strong track record of shipping large scale distributed systems with high quality and tight timelines
- Come from a strong engineering background and understand what good quality software looks like.
- Experience building highly-available API services within container-based environments (e.g., Docker, ECS, Kubernetes, etc. on AWS).
- Proficiency implementing monitoring instrumentation, operational diagnostics, resolving customer issues, and continuous product improvement.
- Nice to have: Experience working with data pipelines, information retrieval, machine learning and search engines
What We Value
- We value high performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.