Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending your snaps on Snap, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world. We are the developer platform for location.
What We Do
Whether it comes to understanding how your state voted in the recent presidential election, or mapping covid vaccine distribution in your neighborhood or understanding the path of a hurricane while planning your next roadtrip, maps are essential to our understanding of the world. Maps have certainly evolved a great deal since the time Magellan set voyage on Nao Victoria. Maps are no longer static and constantly evolve based on new learnings from millions of sensors and crowdsourced data. And search is at the heart of it and is often the starting point for most customer use cases. We help power grocery orders on Instacart, track your personal best mile on Strava, tag photos with your dog on Snap and thousands of other day to day experiences. Mapbox is the goto developer platform for building location based services that reach more than ~900 million active users every single day.
What You'll Do
As a Search Engineer, you'll be responsible for design, development and operations of critical systems that power Mapbox search. In this role, you can expect to:
- Redefine how the world discovers locations and blaze the trail for the future of search
- Design and implement large scale distributed systems that follow best practices for deployment, resilience, and observability.
- Run and design experiments to evaluate the quality, reliability, and capacity requirements of our user-facing search products.
- Participate in end-to-end feature implementation within the larger search organization; review code and design documents, shepherd feature releases, and participate in an on-call rotation.
- Work with product owners, sales engineering, and management to drive future product direction.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- 3+ years experience in software development
- Experience working with at least one modern programming language, e.g., Node.js, Rust, C++, Go, or Java.
- Experience with running large scale search clusters with elasticsearch or solr in production
- Experience building highly-available API services within container-based environments (e.g., Docker, ECS, Kubernetes, etc. on AWS).
- Proficiency implementing monitoring instrumentation, operational diagnostics, resolving customer issues, and continuous product improvement.
- Experience or interest in solving challenging search problems.
- A desire to work with individuals with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences.
- Enthusiasm for learning and knowledge sharing in a multidisciplinary environment, supported by mentorship experience and strong written and verbal communication skills.
- A rigorous approach to problem solving, using experiments and data analysis to drive quality of service improvements.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in Japanese or Native Speaker
- Nice to have: experience working with data processing pipelines such as Spark
- Nice to have: Experience with natural language processing, information retrieval and data mining
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders: