Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending your snaps on Snap, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world. We are the developer platform for location.
What We Do
Navigation is building a suite of products which will power Mapbox’s future growth in key growth verticals including Automotive & Logistics including our Navigation SDKs, our internal mobile flagship applications, and partnering with our customers to build new experiences.
Mapbox’s navigation products are at the heart of some of the most sophisticated companies in the world from Instacart to Porshe to DPD, helping them optimize their fleets and navigate through an ever-changing environment.
The Navigation SDK team builds the library that powers navigation for client applications and automotive. Customers of our SDK include apps on Android and iOS, small and large. We work with all kinds of mobile devices, embedded boards and car units. Our developers build apps and navigation experiences that top the App Store and Play Store rankings, and we are constantly working together to help them build what’s next, whether that’s an Augmented Reality app, a popular consumer app, or an autonomous driving experience.
What You'll Do
- Design and implement new big features.
- Craft expressive and easy to use APIs for developers within our SDKs.
- Dive deep into the underlying cross-platform implementations that power our frameworks.
- Collaborate closely with other teams across Mapbox to understand and build what is needed to enable delightful mobile experiences.
- Build and evolve our popular, open source Android SDKs.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Demonstrated history of shipping Android apps available on Google Play store, or equivalent
- Experience writing Android Applications with Kotlin or Java
- Knowledge of software design, Android systems and architecture
- Enthusiasm for building components and systems with reliability and long term support in mind
- Good sense of usability
- Desire to build frameworks and developer tools
- Open-minded to explore new languages, skills, techniques, and platforms
- Desire to learn and to teach
- Familiarity with or a desire to learn more about C++ is a plus
- Experience building SDKs in any language is a plus
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders: