At Straightaway, our goal is to get people the things they need exactly when they need them. To do this we’re changing the way things move and we’re starting with the people who move them.
We’re relentlessly focused on building the absolute best tools and technology to simplify the complexities of last-mile logistics to bring things closer together. The road ahead is long and we need people from diverse backgrounds to help us realize a shared vision for the future. If you’re willing to move fast and get things wrong while committed to working hard and getting better every day, come join us.
What You’ll Do
As a Senior Backend Engineer, you will be responsible for designing, developing and operating significant areas of our backend infrastructure. In this role, you can expect to:
- Design and implement scalable services for our API, following best practices for deployment, resilience, and observability.
- Collaborate with product managers and mobile engineers to design and implement APIs
- Run and design experiments to evaluate the quality, reliability, and capacity requirements of our core services.
- Participate in end-to-end feature implementation; review code and design documents, shepherd feature releases, and participate in an on-call rotation.
- Work with product owners, mobile engineering, and management to drive future product direction.
- In this role you’ll be responsible for both defining and building the future of Straightaway. This is a highly collaborative role with great opportunities for growth within the company.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Experience engineering web services in at least one backend language, e.g., Node, Rust, C++, Go, or Java.
- Experience building highly-available API services within container-based environments (e.g., Docker, ECS, Kubernetes, etc. on AWS). Proficiency implementing monitoring instrumentation, triaging incidents, resolving customer issues, and continuous product improvement.
- Knowledge of operating systems and distributed systems (e.g., fault-tolerance, consistency, service discovery, etc.)
- Experience or interest in solving geospatial logistics problems.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Straightaway leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply
Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Straightaway to process your application.
Straightaway is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity