Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as the Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending snaps on Snapchat, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by mapping the world in real-time. We are the developer platform for location.
What we do
The Map Design team is a small, versatile group of software engineers, product designers, and cartographers who are obsessed with finding systematic solutions to hard problems, and, in the process, inventing the future of how people interact with location. Beautiful, intelligent, well designed maps are a cornerstone of what makes Mapbox maps special, and the Map Design team creates tools to make that happen.
What we’re looking for
We’re looking for a Senior Product Designer to join the Map Design team to solve complex problems, connect with users, innovate, and build design systems for our flagship product, Mapbox Studio. Your user research, interaction, and visual design skills will drive the Mapbox Studio user experience, balancing ease-of-use for beginners, while providing all of the advanced capabilities our expert users rely on every day.
What You’ll Do
- Be the voice of the user & guide the team’s connection with our varied customers
- Bring simplicity to complex workflows through an iterative process
- Lead and engage your team in user research, both for discovery and validation
- Collaborate with product and engineering to define the strategic future of the Studio product
- Guide the team in design workshops to develop user-centred solutions
- Communicate your design rationale and advocate for design through the presentation of your work
- Think through the short to long term impact of features on the overall user experience
- Deliver high fidelity visual design solutions
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Empathy for your peers, your users, and yourself
- Capable of turning highly technical concepts into simple, abstracted solutions
- A breadth of design knowledge, with a depth in either user research, visual design, or both
- Desire to work with a low-ego, highly collaborative, cross-functional team
- Autonomous and self-disciplined to manage your own schedule in alignment with the team’s overall needs
- Experience working with tradeoffs between design, product and engineering
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Highly proficient with design & prototyping tools (Figma, Sketch, Photoshop, Illustrator, Invision, etc.)
- Humble approach to product design, seeing opportunities instead of faults
- Seasoned background in UX, Product design, interaction design, human interface design, or HCI
- Experience designing web applications
- Experience working with maps
What We Value
In addition to our core values (mapbox.com/about/values) , which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
We value creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and actively fostering a culture of inclusion. We encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.