Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending snaps on Snapchat, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by mapping the world in real-time. We are the developer platform for location.
What We Do
The Map Design team is a warm, supportive, and versatile group of software engineers, product designers, and cartographers. We love finding systematic solutions to hard problems, and, in the process, inventing the future of how people interact with location. Beautiful, intelligent, well designed maps are a cornerstone of what makes Mapbox maps special, and the Map Design team creates tools to make that happen.
Who We’re Looking For
We’re looking for a North America based, front end focused engineer to join our team and create the best map design software on earth. Mapbox Studio, our flagship map design app, is large, complex, and serves an incredibly broad spectrum of users. Working on design tools is as fun and rewarding as it is challenging, and we want an engineer who embraces the joy of making products that empower users to create truly beautiful things.
We can’t wait to work with you, driving Studio and our other design tools towards a better, more maintainable, approachable, and expressive future.
If this job listing doesn't describe you perfectly but you feel there is a strong reason for you to be considered, get in touch and tell us why you want to work with us!
What You’ll Do
- Facilitate and make informed technical decisions that drive the long term vision for maps at Mapbox.
- Build workflow tools that enable our map designers to create beautiful maps faster and easier.
- Solve complex architecture problems in an extensible, maintainable way. Bring clarity to complex technical problems across the organization.
- Participate in the design process by listening to users, attending design critiques, and providing guidance and feedback informed by a deep understanding of technical constraints.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Empathy for your peers, your users, and yourself.
- Able to write approachable, performant code with comprehensive tests and thorough documentation.
- Love to make your customers and colleagues jobs easier through automation
- Keep the big picture in mind, and strive to solve the root problem
- Dedicated to passing on the knowledge you’ve gained to others through pair programming, code reviews, and devlogs
- Comfortable being vulnerable when you don’t know the answer, and know how to ask for help
What We Value
In addition to our core values (mapbox.com/about/values) , which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and actively fostering a culture of inclusion. We encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice (mapbox.com/applicant-privacy-notice) for applicants, which is linked here (mapbox.com/applicant-privacy-notice) . Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity