Whether it comes to tracking how far out your lunch delivery or mapping covid vaccine distribution in your neighborhood or understanding the path of a hurricane while planning your next roadtrip, maps are essential to our understanding of the world. Maps have certainly evolved a great deal since the time Magellan set voyage on Nao Victoria. Maps are no longer static and constantly evolve based on new learnings from millions of sensors and crowdsourced data. And search is at the heart of it and is often the starting point for most customer use cases. We help power grocery orders on Instacart, track your personal best mile on Strava, tag photos with your dog on Snap and thousands of other day to day experiences. Mapbox is the goto developer platform for building location based services that reach more than ~900 million active users every single day.
We are looking for a seasoned product manager who is obsessed about elevating search experiences for customers around the globe. You truly appreciate the complexity in making algorithmic improvements to move the most relevant search result from rank two to one or reducing search abandonment rate by a couple of percentage points. As part of this key strategic role, you get to shape broader search strategy as we expand into multiple search engines and federate accurate results across these different data types.
What You'll Do
- Ownership & execution: You can set a vision and guide the team towards what to build based on business and user need. You can develop and execute a plan based on high level direction for feature or product development.
- Partnership. As a partner to engineering and product design, you engage in joint discovery, decision making, and shared accountability.
- Customer focus. You care deeply about your customers and their problems, and you work tirelessly to innovate on their behalf.
- Strong written and vocal communication skills. You can talk and write about complex ideas concisely to a wide audience. You crisply articulate context and rationale that helps bring along your teammates and stakeholders.
- High standards for work. You deliver clearly written customer FAQs, blog posts, roadmaps, API interfaces, and documentation. You drive a culture of quality on the teams you work with and know how to drive healthy tension between quality and velocity.
- An analytical approach. You know how to use data to properly evaluate the success or failure of features and drive key learnings.
- Strengthen others. You demonstrate investment in coaching and stretching peers across all levels, including colleagues at earlier stages in their careers.
- Experience bringing products to market: You have a proven track record of shipping successful products. You have experience coordinating deadlines, setting pricing, developing a marketing strategy, and enabling support teams.
What We Believe are Important Knowledge & Experiences for This Role
- 6+ years in engineering management with proven ability to design and develop sophisticated, innovative, efficient, and durable solutions to complex technological and business problems.
- Customer empathy and curiosity about what problems your work solves for your users
- An analytical approach: you have strong SQL skills, and always use data to properly evaluate the success or failure of features, as well as guide your next steps.
- Ambiguity and independence: You can weed out what’s important in highly ambiguous spaces, and juggle a variety of competing priorities. Even so, you are autonomous and proactive around driving solutions to completion.
- Strong written and vocal communication skills: you can talk and write about complex ideas concisely to a wide audience and walk through decisions with teammates and collaborators. We work backwards, which means that we start product development by writing the Press Release and the FAQ. Writing documents early on clarify how the world will see the product - not just how we think about it internally.
- Ability to create and maintain multifaceted relationships and business plans with key partners to build and negotiate creative data acquisition deals that offer maximum long term benefits
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders: