Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending snaps on Snapchat, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by mapping the world in real-time. We are the developer platform for location.
What We Do
The Security & Compliance team ensures that Mapbox is a secure and privacy-minded location platform. We take an engineering-driven approach to keeping our employees and millions of end-users safe from real world threats. Our services empower the company to move fast in a highly competitive market with a risk-informed and automation-driven approach to security. We provide the tools, information, and training to help every team at Mapbox understand and own their security surface area, and we earn the trust of Mapbox customers by attaining certifications that attest to the maturity of our security and operations.
What You’ll Do
Mapbox is looking for a talented and experienced security engineer to join our team. As a member of the Security & Compliance team, you can expect to work in a highly visible, cross-functional role. As an engineer on this team, you’ll play an advisory role across the whole company, and you’ll help all Mapbox engineers build secure-by-default systems and triage and mend vulnerabilities on their systems. Engineers on the Security & Compliance team build scanning and threat detection systems to monitor Mapbox’s cloud deployment (AWS-native, mainly container-based, 7 global regions including China) and other digital assets. They train all Mapbox employees on security best practices, conduct risk assessments of new vendor integrations and product launches, and facilitate a bug bounty program that leverages the diverse expertise of a global community of security researchers. Lastly, they build and maintain core standards around security, quality, and privacy—reflected in our compliance certifications—and the automation to monitor and enforce these standards across Mapbox.
We’re excited to share our passion for scalable, engineering-driven, security with you, and for your perspective to help shape our team’s goals. You will be responsible for contributing to, operating, and improving all things related to our security and compliance services. In this role, you can expect to:
- Build well-architected and relevant cloud-based data classification and threat detection systems that integrate with our internal platform for assessing and resolving risk vectors
- Support internal customers of security and compliance services by shipping features to address their needs, consulting on pain points, and designing improvements to our internal team interfaces
- Partner with other internal product teams to implement a secure-by-default design into their own products
- Conduct reviews, train employees, and advise on matters related to security and compliance across Mapbox
- Partner with Mapbox engineering teams to understand and resolve security incidents that arise on their services
- Represent Mapbox’s security posture and the maturity of our operations to customers and in public settings like conferences
- Promote a culture of operational excellence by meticulously testing and monitoring our team’s systems and code, and being on-call to support the health of our services
- Design systems and make decisions that will keep pace with the rapid growth of Mapbox
- Document your work and decision-making processes, and lead presentations and discussions in a way that is easy for others to understand
- Uphold a culture of collaboration, transparency, creativity, inclusion, and data-driven decisions
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Proven ability to design and develop low-friction, innovative, and reliable services that integrate security into the fabric of a cloud-based product
- Clear and persuasive communication of complex and critical information to a broad audience
- Subject matter expertise in security best practices and the ability to quickly make correct risk assessments that prioritize the overall benefit to the company
- Track record of building self-service and high-quality tools with a customer-driven mindset
- A desire to share your expertise through documentation, mentorship, and both written and vocal discussion
- A personal drive to expand your comfort zone by exploring new and/or unfamiliar tasks and domains
- A desire to work with individuals with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences
- Autonomy and proactivity around driving work to completion in the face of ambiguity
- Strong proficiency in a programming language (e.g. Node.js or Python), testing practices, and thorough documentation
- Experience with our tech stack—Node.js, Docker, AWS (CloudFormation, ECS, Lambda, DynamoDB, and more) is a plus
- Experience with SOC, GDPR, and ISO compliance standards
- 5+ years of experience in product or infrastructure security related software engineering roles
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in Computer Science
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders: