Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending your snaps on Snap, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world. We are the developer platform for location.
What We Do
Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as the Internet of Things and AR/VR.
In 2019, Mapbox made a considerable investment in the platform to support the Japanese market, including the integration of best-in-class Zenrin data and supporting the launch of Yahoo! JAPAN’s new maps for millions of people. Today, the demand for Mapbox in Japan is growing as we become the leading Japanese platform for maps and locations.
What You'll Do
- Drive technical and product decisions with customer interviews, log analyses, and other empirical evidence. Identify well-scoped tasks for yourself and the team.
- Promote a culture of operational excellence by testing code, monitoring systems, updating documentation, writing blameless postmortems, and being on-call to support the health of our services.
- Scale your team’s capacity faster its responsibility area. Grow and be grown by your teammates, while optimizing application performance and accelerating feature velocity.
- Design and architect projects from the initial phase to release
- Ability to drive a team by creating a workflow structure (agile, scrum etc.)
- Build APIs and backend processes to manage a high load infrastructure
- Optimize performance over time and improve any performance
- Analytically measure performance, user experience, and communicate the analytics to the team using reports and dashboards
- Ability to comprehend and suggest changes to business processes and requirements
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- 2+ years of demonstrated ability to design and develop sophisticated, innovative, efficient, and durable solutions to complex technology problems. You’re proficient in a programming language and uphold engineering standards around testing, documentation and maintainability.
- Autonomy, proactivity, and ownership when driving work to completion, especially in the face of ambiguity. You actively expand your comfort zone by exploring new and/or unfamiliar tasks.
- An empirical approach to making technical decisions. You develop strong hypotheses, design experiments to test them, interpret the results, and clearly communicate your findings.
- Knowledge of the HTTP specification, and strong opinions around RESTful API design.
- Ability to architect and communicate the reasoning for the choices made
- Ability to drive, own, and automate development pipelines using CI/CD and stabilize production releases
- Ability to understand problems and drive project or initiatives without being instructed
- Experience in Go, NodeJs language
Nice to Have
- Experience in AWS
- Experience in being a team lead
- Business level Japanese and English
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders: