What We Do
Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
In 2019, Mapbox made considerable investment in the platform to support the Japanese market, including the integration of best-in-class Zenrin data, and supporting the launch of Yahoo! JAPAN’s new maps for millions of people. Today, the demand for Mapbox in Japan is growing as we become the leading Japanese platform for maps and location. Our team is product-focused and customer-obsessed, developing opportunities to rapidly and sustainably scale our business throughout Japan. We’re building a sales and solutions team tailored to the Japanese market and we need a passionate, experienced leader to join us.
In 2020 March, Mapbox Japan was established as a Joint Venture between Mapbox Inc. and SoftBank K.K. The Director of Administration, Mapbox Japan will play an important role to create the foundation of the company, manage/update the company rule and standards fits as the company grows, and support this joint venture to be No.1 map service provider in the Japanese market, and distribute the Mapbox Japan developed location-based marketing platform worldwide.
What You'll Do
- Expand licensing and rapidly grow revenues for Mapbox Japan maps and data via our APIs and SDKs to a range of customers through both direct and partner-led sales.
- Develop an energetic and hungry technical sales organization to thrive on creating their own book of business and innovate ways for launching and growing relationships with more developers, prospects and customers across Japan.
- Nurture, close, and manage key relationships with sales channel partners and conduct direct sales with customers
- Support a repeatable training process that help sales execs learn sales skills, product and industry knowledge, and professional habits they need to succeed in the role
- Closely coordinate with internal counterparts on business development and product R&D
- Expand technical account management, solution architecture, and customer success teams in close collaboration with our teams in the US
- Be the voice of the market, develop sales forecasts for the executive leadership team as well as create systems for frictionless feedback loop between sales, product, marketing, support and technical account management
- Manage daily and weekly activities, pipelines, forecasts and closed deals to ensure above-quota results based on successful pipeline management
- Analyze market developments, industries to improve vertical or territory development and expansion
- Lead client and prospect meetings to impart sales intelligence and wisdom and set the example for your team
- Hire, onboard and train new sales reps as your sales targets and book of revenue grows
- Create a team culture that’s positive, motivating, and performance-driven
- 10+ years of experience in platform sales and business development
- 1-3 years experience as Country Manager or Head of Sales for international tech company in Japan a plus
- 3+ years of experience working in startup or US-headquartered company a plus
- Track record of negotiating complex deals involving a technical product, demonstrating clear revenue growth with sales/ARR in excess of $10M USD
- Highly analytical with strong complex problem solving skills
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Familiarity collaborating with and presenting to senior executives
- Experience managing cross-functional efforts (Product, Legal, Finance, Accounting, etc.)
- Ability to multi-task and deal with pressure in an unstructured environment; ability to work through uncertainty
- Be passionate about the details, do what it takes with speed, resourcefulness, and a positive, go-getter attitude regardless of the tasks at hand
- B.A./ B.S. degree / MBA preferred
- English language skills required
- This role will be based in Tokyo
- Up to 50% travel
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders: