Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as The Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending your snaps on Snapchat, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world. We are the developer platform for location.
What We Do
The Directions team is responsible for Mapbox’s Directions, Map Matching, and Isochrone APIs and all the infrastructure associated with them. We’re proud builders of solutions to problems in the routing space for industries like auto, logistics, outdoors and more. We solve complex geospatial data problems and leverage statistical analysis alongside live and historical traffic profiles to get users from A → B as efficiently as possible. Our customers are primarily developers, like us. When they're successful, we're successful.
What You'll Do
Mapbox is looking for a highly technical manager to lead and mentor some of the best developers in the business. You will be responsible for Mapbox’s route planning with turn-by-turn directions capabilities.
In this role, you will continue to grow your technical leadership while you:
- Provide strategic direction and innovation in the design and implementation of the Directions’ suite of capabilities
- Manage and develop the team through hiring, retaining, mentoring, and continually building the team’s capabilities
- Drive company, product, and team objectives, carrying your team along in the decision-making
- Work closely with product to figure out what our customers need, and develop a strategic plan to address their pain
- Foster a culture of collaboration, innovation, inclusion and data-driven decisions on the team
- Help your team members and direct reports learn new skills, either through your own guidance or by proactively finding them mentors
- Develop the long-term business strategy and drive the team’s work product
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Experience leading and mentoring a team
- Experience driving projects towards deadlines
- Experience designing large scale distributed systems
- Depth in multiple software languages applied to systems and scripting
- Experience leading code reviews
- Experience building with Cloud Infra, AWS preferred
- Know your way around Linux-based operating systems
- Believer in making data-driven decisions
- Comfortable giving (and receiving) critical feedback
- Strong emotional intelligence and consensus building skills are a must
Of course, if you don’t have experience with every single item on the list, that’s okay. We’re much more concerned with getting the right person for the job, rather than one who checks all the boxes.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity