Mapbox is building a live location platform. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data. Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, tracking your personal best mile on Strava, sending snaps on Snapchat, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world.
Maps at Mapbox
Maps is responsible for services that process and deliver map data, map styles, map rendering, and interactivity to customers. Maps services power the core map rendering and interactive experience found in apps like Snapchat, Facebook, Lonely Planet, Tableau, The New York Times, Strava, Adobe Lightroom, and more. We’ve built our platform around well-defined data, styling, and rendering primitives that can be combined to create new experiences. Think Web Standards for Maps. Customers find ways to take our vector tiles, style specification, and SDKs to create 3D running maps through clouds, fictional cartoon worlds, or data visualizations showing all pickup/dropoffs in NYC. We tie all these specifications together into a single web editing interface called Mapbox Studio.
The Map Rendering teams at Mapbox include our Mobile Maps SDKs, Mapbox GL JS, and GL Native. Together, these three teams innovate on our core rendering engine that customers interact with through our Web SDK (Mapbox GL JS) and Mobile SDKs (iOS and Android). Each SDK delivers a smooth and idiomatic developer experience particular to its platform, but the core Mapbox rendering engine targets a consistent experience across all platforms. This makes it possible for customers to design and develop a map experience once and deploy it on the web and mobile. Mapbox developers and designers are constantly innovating on the core renderer and discussing new features such as complex label formatting, 3D mesh and object support, advanced camera handling and animations, scalable icons, and more.
Read about Mapbox Maps on our blog: https://blog.mapbox.com/tagged/maps
What You'll Do
As the Web Maps PM you will be responsible for directing the strategic vision of the Web Maps product line. You will coordinate and align the roadmap across multiple teams to drive a best-in-class map styling and rendering engine for all our customers. You will be responsible for interfacing with customers and understanding deeply which features are intuitive and which are not. You will build business models and revenue pricing models, lead go-to-market efforts and drive adoption post launch.
You will collaborate closely with the Mobile Maps SDK PM and the Map Rendering PM who own, respectively, our Mobile developer experiences and strategic rendering vision for Maps SDKs. The roadmap strategy you define for the Web product line will provide the foundation for the business and its growth.
What We're Looking For
- 3+ years as a PM. You have seen a product through a full lifecycle of discovery, development, launch, and adoption. Experience with deprecating/failing a product is a plus.
- Customer focus. You care deeply about your customers, their problems and work tirelessly to innovate and advocate on their behalf.
- An analytical approach. You have strong SQL skills and use data to properly evaluate the success or failure of features and drive key learnings.
- Ownership and independent delivery of outcomes. Ability to develop and execute a plan based on high level direction for feature or product development.
- Strong written and vocal communication skills. You can talk and write about complex ideas concisely to a wide audience. You crisply articulate context and rationale that helps bring along your teammates and stakeholders.
- High standards for work. You deliver clearly written customer FAQs, blog posts, roadmaps, API interfaces, documentation. You drive a culture of quality on the teams you work with and know how to drive healthy tension between quality and velocity.
- Strengthen others. Demonstrated ability to coach others in their work interfacing with customers.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders: