Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending snaps on Snap, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by mapping the world in real-time. We are the developer platform for location.
What We Do
The on-premises location (Atlas) team enables our customers to run Mapbox APIs on their own private infrastructure. We make it possible to deploy Mapbox anywhere, whether on AWS, Google Cloud, VMware, bare metal servers, or offline laptops. Our customers range from Fortune 500 companies to government agencies to humanitarian organizations.
We work with every engineering team at Mapbox to ensure all our APIs, libraries, SDKs, and data sources work on-premises or offline. The technical challenges we tackle include API services, Docker Compose architecture, container orchestration with Kubernetes, front end UIs, download CLIs, security, identity & access management, and data processing. We actively surface improvements and share what we learn with the other engineering teams at Mapbox.
What You’ll Do
Atlas adoption engineers work on proactive projects that help customers adopt Atlas.
- Publish and maintain up to date technical documentation for Atlas installation, deployment, maintenance, and operations for multiple cloud providers.
- Implement architectural changes and new features that improve the customer experience of operating Atlas.
- Create templates (e.g., AWS CloudFormation or Terraform scripts) for automated Atlas installations
- Manage container marketplace implementations for Atlas.
- Performance test and benchmark Atlas.
- Create a self-service system for the Atlas team to quickly spin up Atlas servers for presales demos and product feature development.
- Prototype new Atlas architectures (e.g., Atlas on ECS or AWS Fargate)
- Publish technical how-to videos related to Atlas operations and deployments
- Provide recommendations to Atlas customers on performance tuning and monitoring their deployments
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
An Atlas adoption engineer is a technical IC who prefers to improve existing systems and help customers rather than write a ton of greenfield code or ship new features. They enjoy creating demos, writing documentation, and crafting delivery notes for customers. They value proactive work to reduce customer pain over reactive work.
- Technical writing skills
- Verbal communication skills
- Presentation skills (e.g. how-to videos)
- Customer-facing skills
- Emotional intelligence - dealing with difficult customers
- Container technologies, especially Docker
- Operating system fundamentals, especially Linux
- Hands-on experience with at least one major cloud provider (e.g., AWS, Azure, or GCP) - the more, the better
- Proficiency in at least one scripting or programming language, especially bash or Node.js
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity