Over a million of our customers get started with Mapbox through our Console, our landing web interface. From independent developers to large enterprises, this is customers’ first interaction with our platform: it’s where they are first introduced to the dozens of our location services, securely manage access to their accounts, and monitor the usage of their Mapbox-integrated applications.
The Console is educational; it guides our customers on where to start building for their use cases and provides them the insights required to develop upon and operate their applications effectively. In order to scale this across dozens of services, the Console team provides infrastructure upon which internal teams can build and insert their own customer-facing UIs, and then an additional layer of opinions to tie it all back to one unified, seamless, and intuitive experience for our customers.
The Console team is a brand new team at Mapbox. As the manager, you will be responsible for creating the roadmap, building a team, and executing upon your vision for a holistic frontend development experience at Mapbox, both for internal and external customers. If you are interested in carving this vision out with us, we’d love to hear from you!
What You'll Do
Mapbox is looking for a manager to form and lead our Console team. In this role, you can expect to:
- Provide strategic direction and innovation in the design and implementation of the Mapbox Console
- Manage and develop the team through hiring, mentoring, retaining, and continually building the team’s capabilities
- Lead your team through design, development, and release of new features and components for the Mapbox Console in a hands-on manner (code reviews, testing, etc.)
- Drive company, product, and team objectives, carrying your team along in the decision-making
- Develop a strong understanding of our various Mapbox location services and maintain strong relationships with those product leaders in order to effectively incorporate their customer-facing needs into the Console
- Determine best engineering practices and promote them within the team and across Mapbox
- Foster a culture of collaboration, innovation, diversity, and data-driven decisions on the team
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Fluency with and experience building developer platform services
- Exceptional communication skills, both verbal and written
- A track record of delivering innovative, efficient, and durable web-based user experiences, ideally with high information density catered towards technical audiences
- Passion for amazing user experiences and proactivity for the importance of design
- Ability to lead and inspire in a hands-on fashion
- Ability to take on an ownership role for the product and be able to ramp up quickly and operate independently
- Experience mentoring individuals from underrepresented backgrounds into leadership
- Experience facilitating work in ways that counteract unconscious bias
- Commitment to recruiting a diverse engineering team
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders: