Maps at Mapbox
Maps is responsible for services that process and deliver map data, map styles, map rendering, and interactivity to customers. Maps services power the core map rendering and interactive experiences found in apps like Snap, Facebook, Porsche, Lonely Planet, Tableau, The New York Times, Strava, Adobe Lightroom, and more. We’ve built our platform around well-defined data, styling, and rendering primitives that can be combined to create new experiences. Think Web Standards for Maps. Customers find ways to take our vector tiles, style specification, and SDKs to create 3D running maps through clouds, fictional cartoon worlds, or data visualizations showing all pickup/dropoff locations in NYC. We tie all these specifications together into a single web editing interface called Mapbox Studio.
What We Do
The Map Design team is a small, versatile group of engineers and product designers who are obsessed with finding systematic solutions to hard problems, and, in the process, inventing the future of how people interact with location.
What You’ll Do
As the Map Design PM you will be responsible for driving the strategic vision for Mapbox Studio, a powerful web application for designing custom maps that enable map experiences to over 650M global MAUs. The Map Design team owns both the front-end Mapbox Studio user experience and the underlying APIs, which enable scalable, responsive and reliable styles, sprites, fonts, and Studio authoring services. The products you will work on are our customers’ entry point to the Mapbox platform and our technologies.
You will envision, coordinate and align the roadmap across multiple products and teams to drive a consistent map design and customization experience for our customers—from novice users who want really intuitive, yet powerful defaults, to power users who want the flexibility to customize their maps in real-time based on their users and environment. You’ll dig deep into the complexity of digital mapping, keeping a clear eye on how we can simplify map design, abstract away unnecessary decisions from our customers, and continue to innovate in our category.
You obsess over both quantitative and qualitative metrics that help define the success of your service and teams. Your highly-collaborative team will look to you as a partner in customer discovery and decision making. You are a leader, providing clarity and prioritization, enabling others, and improving the quality of our products. Though prior technical experience is not required, being able to stretch technically and understand complex systems will be helpful.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Ownership & execution: You can set a vision and guide the team towards what to build based on business and user need. You can develop and execute a plan based on high level direction for feature or product development.
- Partnership. As a partner to engineering and product design, you engage in joint discovery, decision making, and shared accountability.
- Customer focus. You care deeply about your customers and their problems, and you work tirelessly to innovate on their behalf.
- Strong written and vocal communication skills. You can talk and write about complex ideas concisely to a wide audience. You crisply articulate context and rationale that helps bring along your teammates and stakeholders.
- High standards for work. You deliver clearly written customer FAQs, blog posts, roadmaps, API interfaces, and documentation. You drive a culture of quality on the teams you work with and know how to drive healthy tension between quality and velocity.
- An analytical approach. You know how to use data to properly evaluate the success or failure of features and drive key learnings.
- Strengthen others. You demonstrate investment in coaching and stretching peers across all levels, including colleagues at earlier stages in their careers.
- Experience bringing products to market: You have a proven track record of shipping successful products. You have experience coordinating deadlines, setting pricing, developing a marketing strategy, and enabling support teams.
Nice to have:
- Previous experience working with design tools and/or frontend applications. You have direct hands on experience working with cross-functional teams to deliver frontend products.
- 3+ years as a PM. You have seen a significant product through a full lifecycle of discovery, development, launch, and adoption. Experience with deprecating/failing a product is a plus, but potential is what's most important.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders: