Data Lead, Roads
San Francisco, Washington D.C., Minsk, or remote
Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world. We are the developer platform for location.
What We Do
Mapbox is building a living map. Using computer vision, machine learning, AR and the Mapbox location data platform, we build the basis for self-driving cars and change the way people move and explore our world.
Mapbox uses a unique set of techniques and data assets to drive improvements to our technology:
- Machine learning on location data from the more than 500 million monthly users
- Computer vision from the Mapbox Vision SDK and extractions from global aerial and satellite data
- A flexible Spark-based data platform that delivers daily updates to all our maps
What You'll Do
We’re looking for a navigation data expert to drive our technical roadmap for data improvement. In this role, you will work closely with Data Services engineers to define projects that will upgrade our road network over time.
- Drive projects to improve the Mapbox road network. You’ll work with data engineers, data scientists, and editing teams to define specifications, process, and success criteria for improving our data
- Serve as a subject matter expert in roads data - you will become the authority on data standards, our road specification, and how to handle proprietary data uploads
- Own the metrics for navigation data. You’ll define the measurement strategy, set up KPIs, and translate metrics to customer impact
- Lead technical evaluation of new navigation data sources and vendors
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- 6+ yrs working experience in working with mapping datasets (e.g., OpenStreetMap, HERE, TomTom, and Zenrin) and/or 6+ years experience in implementing location solutions, such as search engines, navigation systems, or online maps.
- A strong communicator who is comfortable working with global teams to solve complex problems.
- Experience in improving location data at scale: machine learning, computer vision, location telemetry analysis, or other next-generation mapping techniques.
- An eye for detail: You should feel comfortable diving into raw data to triage problems, thinking through an end-to-end solution, and partnering with an engineer to implement.
- Tolerance for ambiguity and intrinsic motivation: you gravitate towards chaos. You can weed out what’s important in highly ambiguous spaces, and juggle a variety of competing priorities. Even so, you are proactive around driving solutions to completion.
- Devotion to systematization, repeatability, efficiency, and measurement: processes, data, and nailing the details are key to how we work.
- Empathy and collaboration: you communicate effectively with others and earn credibility quickly. You’re comfortable giving and receiving feedback in the open. You have a desire to work with individuals with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity