Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending snaps on Snap, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by mapping the world in real-time. We are the developer platform for location.
What We Do
The Mapbox Atlas team enables customers to self-host Mapbox APIs, including maps, search, and navigation, on private infrastructure. Our customers use either Docker Compose or Kubernetes to deploy Mapbox APIs anywhere, whether in on-site physical data centers or in private clouds on AWS, Google Cloud, or Azure. We have customers using Atlas to power public websites with over 10 million monthly users and others on air gapped networks. Our customer base includes electric grid operators, major telecommunications providers, Fortune 500 companies, government agencies, and humanitarian organizations.
Some of the technical challenges we tackle include processing and delivering petabytes of satellite imagery and digital elevation data, designing an on-premises GIS data conversion API, implementing role-based access controls, verifying OpenShift support, building a front end Atlas administration UI, maintaining downloadable weekly data updates for the entire globe, and preventing attackers from reverse engineering our downloadable Docker images and data sets. We also operate and maintain a downloads API, including Helm chart support, and download manager CLI for our customers.
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate with every engineering team at the company to ensure all Mapbox APIs, libraries, SDKs, and data sources work on-premises, including on air gapped networks. Surface improvements and share what you learn with other engineering teams at Mapbox.
- Prototype new Atlas deployment methods on multiple cloud providers, including container marketplace implementations.
- Implement new features on the Atlas roadmap to drive customer adoption.
- Keep up to date with the latest advancements in container orchestration and enable support for new features in Atlas for Kubernetes.
- Consult and advise Atlas customers on operations and maintenance of their Atlas for Kubernetes or Atlas for Docker Compose deployments, including scaling, high availability, fault tolerance, performance tuning, and monitoring.
- Promote a culture of operational excellence by meticulously testing and monitoring our systems and code, writing documentation, and being on-call to support the health of our services.
- Reduce technical debt, share your knowledge, and invest in your teammates’ health and happiness, while optimizing application performance and accelerating feature velocity.
- Uphold a culture of collaboration, transparency, creativity, inclusion, and data-driven decisions.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- 5+ years of proven ability to design and develop sophisticated, innovative, efficient, and durable solutions to complex technology problems.
- An empirical analytical approach. You develop strong hypotheses, design experiments to test them, interpret the results, and clearly communicate your findings.
- Autonomy, proactivity, and ownership around driving work to completion in the face of ambiguity.
- A desire to share your expertise through documentation, mentorship, and both written and verbal discussion.
- A personal drive to expand your comfort zone by exploring new and unfamiliar tasks.
- A desire to work with individuals with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences.
- Strong proficiency in a programming or scripting language (especially Node.js or bash), including testing practices and internal documentation.
- Experience with container technologies, especially Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience with operating system fundamentals, especially Linux.
- Hands-on experience with at least one major cloud provider (e.g., AWS, Azure, or GCP) or with private data center operations (e.g., VMware, OpenStack, OpenShift, etc.).
- Application security, platform security, or compliance experience (e.g., SOC 2, PCI, FedRAMP, ATO, etc.) is a huge plus but not required.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity