What We Do
Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as the Internet of Things and AR/VR.
In 2019, Mapbox made a considerable investment in the platform to support the Japanese market, including the integration of best-in-class Zenrin data and supporting the launch of Yahoo! JAPAN’s new maps for millions of people. Today, the demand for Mapbox in Japan is growing as we become the leading Japanese platform for maps and locations.
What You'll Do
- Participate in the entire lifecycle of our data tooling products by discovering problems, communicating solutions, and ensuring finished products are polished and easy to use
- Wireframe and prototype interfaces for open-source and internal mapping and data visualization tools
- Be the visual communicator for your team: from user flow diagrams all the way to data flow diagrams, clarify concepts to help the rest of your team understand problems
- Distill observations and feedback from user testing and user research sessions with team members in Japan, US and internationally
- Lead all aspects of the UI/UX design work, which you will own end-to-end.
- Hands on design work of the maps, from ideation to delivery and work directly with developers to develop and maintain design systems.
- Create intuitive interaction patterns for design coherency across multiple platforms and devices.
- Establish a strong visual aesthetic and perspective for both map and mobile navigation experiences.
- Execute and oversee ideas completely from concept, wireframe, visual and prototype phases through to production.
- Work in close collaboration with our engineers to ensure excellence in build quality and overall design polish across releases.
- Partner with product managers, sales, and other stakeholders to deeply understand customer needs and solve customer problems elegantly with the products you build.
- Advocate and build support for your vision with other advisors across the company.
- Foster the design culture at Mapbox
- Japanese Naitive or strongly fluent.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Experience in UX data analysis
- Experience in creating designs for different languages and targeting different culture
- Experience in being a team lead or a primary driver of the team.
- Proven experience designing maps
- Fluency in user centered storytelling and current design methods to frame your design explorations into a clear narrative.
- Track record of shipping user centered designs across products/services.
- Positive attitude and strength to see opportunity in moments of ambiguity.
- Comfortable being a self starter and driving momentum on the team
- Strong communication skills.
- Expertise with design tools, such as Adobe Creative Suite, Figma, or Sketch
- Ability to create rendered map mock-ups
- Expertise in visual/graphic design
- Nice to Have
- Business level Japanese and English
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders: