Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending your snaps on Snapchat, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world. We are the developer platform for location.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead all aspects of the UI/UX design work, which you will own end-to-end.
- Live the use case and deeply understand the users you are designing for. Participate in user research/customer success conversations to be close to customer needs.
- Hands on design work of the maps, from ideation to delivery and work directly with developers to develop and maintain design systems.
- Assist enterprise customers with map design requests, from building custom base maps to providing consultations on customer’s maps.
- Bring your creativity and attention to detail as you generate elegant user interaction flows.
- Create intuitive interaction patterns for design coherency across multiple platforms and devices.
- Establish a strong visual aesthetic and perspective for both in-car and mobile navigation experiences.
- Craft meticulously simple and beautiful UI/UX solutions that become the gold standard in the user’s expectations.
- Execute and oversee ideas completely from concept, wireframe, visual and prototype phases through to production.
- Work in close collaboration with our other stellar mobile/navigation engineers to ensure excellence in build quality and overall design polish across releases.
- Partner with product managers, sales, and other stakeholders to deeply understand customer needs and solve customer problems elegantly with the products you build.
- Advocate and build support for your vision with other advisors across the company.
- Foster the design culture at Mapbox
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- 5+ years of relevant work experience
- Proven experience designing maps
- Experience designing sustainable systems
- Excellent visual design skills to demonstrate ideas
- Fluency in user centered storytelling and current design methods to frame your design explorations into a clear narrative.
- Track record of shipping user centered designs across products/services.
- Positive attitude and strength to see opportunity in moments of ambiguity.
- Comfortable being a self starter and driving momentum on the team.
- Strong communication skills.
- Expertise with design tools, such as Adobe Creative Suite or Sketch
- Ability to create rendered map mock-ups
- Expertise in visual/graphic design
- Bonus: Mapbox GL style specification, including expressions syntax
- Bonus: Mapbox Studio
What We Value
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply