Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending snaps on Snapchat, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by mapping the world in real-time. We are the developer platform for location.
What We Do
Search at Mapbox provides street, address, and place search for countries all over the globe, in many different languages. Search is a critical component to our customers’ applications, and a major partner to the Maps and Navigation organizations at Mapbox. Whether you’re trying to find a place among the vast amount of data on a global map, or to find the exact location of a venue a few miles down the road, search is in the critical path of so many of our customers’ experiences.
Search data comes from thousands of sources, and goes through ETL data pipelines to prepare for our search engine. There is a combination of challenging algorithmic, scaling, and quality observation opportunities in this area of our work. Working with diverse datasets at scale, while delivering a high quality product through automated quality analytics observation systems are all key to solving this problem.
What You’ll Do
- Lead the design and development of software systems and features
- Design, write, integrate, and deploy software to improve the search data pipelines
- Define project priorities and organize sprint work
- Mentor team members on software design, testing, and execution techniques
- Gain full expertise of the search data pipelines
- Promote a culture of operational excellence by meticulously testing and monitoring our systems and code, and being on-call to support the health of our services
- Research and learn geographical context around feature improvements, such as where an airport’s entrance is or the order of Japanese house numbers
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- A desire to share your expertise through documentation, mentorship, and both written and vocal discussion
- Autonomy and ability to drive project completion in the face of ambiguity
- Advanced programming experience with one or more of C++, Rust, Node.js
- Excellent full-stack debugging experience and performance profiling
- Experience working on large scale data pipelines
- Previous work with SQL database systems like MySQL or PostgreSQL
- Familiarity with the UNIX command line and common commands
- Depth and breadth of AWS experience is ideal but not required
- Prior experience in search and geospatial programming are a plus
What We Value
In addition to , which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the for applicants, which is linked . Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity