Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending snaps on Snapchat, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by mapping the world in real-time. We are the developer platform for location.
What We Do
On any given day, millions of people interact with Mapbox’s global API infrastructure, while behind the scenes, hundreds of Mapbox developers continually deploy code, process petabytes of data, and improve the durability and efficiency of our product. Powering this engine is our Platform team: a group of developers who build and operate a first-class suite of dev-ops tools, run our self-serve deployment pipeline, provision a shared computing layer for the company, and advise Mapbox developers on optimizing cost, scale, and fault-tolerance on AWS. As Mapbox grows, the Platform team serves as the backbone of scaling our self-service and high-quality development on AWS. The team is a key player in helping Mapbox developers deliver an operationally excellent, high-availability product to our customers.
The team's scope of work includes tooling and systems for continuous integration and deployment, benchmarking, observability, incident response, database replication, cost monitoring, and more.
- Check out some of our recent re:Invent talks about switching our infrastructure to ECS and how we monitor cost on AWS
- Many components of our platform are open-source, such as our framework for distributed data processing on ECS, the core of our deploy pipeline, and some friendly CloudFormation helpers!
What You’ll Do
Mapbox is looking for a talented and experienced engineer to help grow the foundation of our platform. We’re excited to share our passion for scalability with you, and for your perspective to help shape our team’s goals. You will be responsible for contributing to, operating, and improving all things related to our cloud infrastructure and devops toolkits. In this role, you can expect to:
- Support internal customers of the platform by shipping features to address their needs and consulting on implementation of our systems and tools
- Simplify and strengthen Mapbox’s processes and tools for designing, deploying, and monitoring workloads on AWS
- Spearhead development of systems that improve our API reliability, cost monitoring, data processing, engineering and management
- Promote a culture of operational excellence by meticulously testing and monitoring our systems and code, and being on-call to support the health of our services
- Design systems and make decisions that will keep pace with the rapid growth of Mapbox
- Document your work and decision-making processes, and lead presentations and discussions in a way that is easy for others to understand
- Uphold a culture of collaboration, transparency, creativity, inclusion, and data-driven decisions
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Proven ability to design and develop sophisticated, innovative, efficient, and durable infrastructure on AWS
- Track record of building self-service and high-quality tools for developers with a customer-driven mindset
- A desire to share your expertise through documentation, mentorship, and both written and vocal discussion
- A personal drive to expand your comfort zone by exploring new and/or unfamiliar tasks
- A desire to work with individuals with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences
- Autonomy and proactivity around driving work to completion in the face of ambiguity
- Strong proficiency in a programming language, testing practices, and thorough documentation
- Experience with our tech stack—node.js, Docker, AWS (CloudFormation, ECS, Lambda, DynamoDB, and more) is a plus
What We Value
In addition to , which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the for applicants, which is linked . Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity