Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending snaps on Snap, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by mapping the world in real-time. We are the developer platform for location.
What We Do
The Map Design team is a small, versatile group of software engineers, product designers, and cartographic map designers who are obsessed with finding systematic solutions to hard problems, and, in the process, inventing the future of how people interact with location. Our work drives the maps that millions of users interact with every day in apps like Snap, Facebook, and Weather.com.
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to join our team and work collaboratively with other teams in the Maps organization to solve complex problems across the technical stack. Your technical skills and leadership will drive the feature development and operational excellence of Mapbox Studio, our flagship application for custom map design. Studio requires careful consideration in balancing between addressing tech debt and shipping new features. You’ll also bring your people management skills to ensure that the team is growing, while delivering on the roadmap.
Mapbox is a global company with offices in Washington, D.C., San Francisco, Beijing, Minsk, and Helsinki. This position is located in our San Francisco office.
What You’ll Do
Mapbox is looking for a hands-on, technical manager to lead the development of Studio and other Map Design tools. You will be responsible for organizing team’s day-to-day work, developing the people on the team, and making sure everything we work on is driven by customer needs and has impact on the overall business.
In this role, you will:
- Deliver complex, high-impact projects while providing technical expertise and mentorship to your team
- Operate the team day-to-day and be hands-on in project management and sprint planning
- Manage and develop the team through hiring, retaining, mentoring, and continually building the team’s capabilities
- Drive company, product, and team objectives, carrying your team and relevant stakeholders along in the decision-making
- Develop the long-term business strategy driving the team’s work
- Establish and track operational metrics for data products to ensure the team is delivering products that satisfying customer requirements
- Manage SRE responsibilities for on-call and related responsibilities
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Proven ability to lead sophisticated customer-facing web-based or mobile applications for a global business where design and ease-of-use are fundamental to the success of the business
- Experience with designing and delivering products, both for front-end applications and APIs
- Clear and persuasive communication of complex information to a broad audience, and a commitment to fostering and growing cross-team relationships
- Previous experience building and leading a high-performing team that delivered high-impact and high-value work
- Be able to ramp up quickly and operate independently
- Experience facilitating work in ways that counteract unconscious bias
- Commitment to recruiting a diverse engineering and design team
What We Value
In addition to , which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high performing, creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity