Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending snaps on Snapchat, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by mapping the world in real-time. We are the developer platform for location.
What We Do
The Driver Team is a newly formed cross-functional Design & Engineering team at Mapbox solely focused on the driver/passenger navigation experience across our automotive & mobile platforms. Our team’s core mission is rooted in exploring the art of the possible using our tech stack and rich data services, and crafting next-gen product around our perspective on what’s next for navigation and live location experiences.
We consider a wide range of applications and use cases to holistically understand the environments and context our customers are building for. From automotive use cases, to delivery, ride-sharing, commutes, social driving, autonomous, etc., we are always considering what’s ahead for each industry pipeline in order to design the best solutions for the customer and the end user.
As a team we are envisioning and designing tomorrow’s navigation frameworks that will empower tomorrow’s live location experiences for our customers and users alike. We are creating complete design systems and new UI/UX features around navigation for both in-car and mobile platforms. From augmented navigation for way-finding, to smooth immersive vector maps for turn-by-turn guidance, our team obsesses over the unique aspects to these types of user-journeys.
What You'll Do
- Lead all aspects of the driver UI/UX design work, which you will own end-to-end.
- Live the use case and deeply understand the users you are designing for.
- Bring your creativity and attention to detail as you generate elegant user interaction flows.
- Create intuitive interaction patterns for design coherency across multiple platforms and devices.
- Establish a strong visual aesthetic and perspective for both in-car and mobile navigation experiences.
- Craft meticulously simple and beautiful UI/UX solutions for navigation that become the gold standard in the user’s expectations.
- Be a mentor and inspire other designers on the team to grow in their craft.
- Execute and oversee ideas completely from concept, wireframe, visual and prototype phases through to production.
- Work in close collaboration with our other stellar mobile engineers to ensure excellence in build quality and overall design polish across releases.
- Partner with product managers, sales, and other stakeholders to deeply understand customer needs and solve customer problems elegantly with the products you build.
- Advocate and build support for your vision with other advisors across the company.
- Collaborate with UXR to test your visions with real users for early usability insights.
- Foster the design culture at Mapbox.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Ability to apply design systems level thinking to everything you do.
- Fluency in user centered storytelling and current design methods to frame your design explorations into a clear narrative.
- Track record of shipping user centered designs across products/services.
- Positive attitude and strength to see opportunity in moments of ambiguity.
- Comfortable being a self starter and driving momentum on the team.
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to lead by example.
- A strong intuition and vision for things ahead.
- Possess a hunger for exploring the fringe space of design/technology to identify opportunities.
- Able to think quickly and execute swiftly in a rapidly evolving line of products/services.
- Passion for geospatial and live location products and services.
- Familiarity with Sketch, Adobe and common designs.
- Familiarity with Framer, Invision and other prototyping tools.
What We Value
In addition to , which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the for applicants, which is linked . Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity