A new kind of storage company, MakeSpace is taking the struggle out of storage—and reinventing an antiquated industry in the process. We’ve designed a hassle-free experience that allows people to store and retrieve their belongings on-demand, so they can skip the whole schlep-to-a-storage-unit thing. We pick up your stuff, haul it to storage, and deliver it back when you need it. Simple as that.
To support this seamless experience, we built the industry’s first fully integrated system, from back-end routing to warehouse logistics, and a consumer app complete with a digital photo inventory of stored items. Our superior operations, tech, and talent enable us to be infinitely more convenient, affordable, and user-friendly than traditional self-storage. In just over 6 years, we’ve become a top-5 consumer-rated storage company in NYC, and expanded to 24 major cities in North America.
Join us as we disrupt a $38 billion industry, and change the way people think about storage (and the stuff they store).
- Help bolster systems that dynamically respond to load, usage and event processing.
- Identify, monitor, and help fix performance and quality bottlenecks across the whole stack.
- Working with infrastructure as code via ansible/terraform
- Working with containerization within a kubernetes ecosystem
- Working with CI/CD tools and build pipelines
- Create and maintain developer tooling to minimize errors and maximize reuse.
- Own deployment tooling to maximize speed and frequency of releases.
- Expand on internal developer tooling and documentation
- An undergraduate degree in computer science or relevant engineering or ops experience.
- Cloud computing experience, preferably AWS, including AWS value added services in addition to basic compute/db resources. Bare metal experience also a plus
- Deep experience with Github, CI tools like Jenkins and CM tools like Chef, Ansible.
- You continually learn and strive towards being the best software engineer you can be.
- Experience with an agile release schedule in a CD environment.
- Someone who is comfortable walking the line between techops and developer productivity tooling.
- You have proven understanding and competence building systems and automation with tools like bash, Python, Ruby, or Java.
- Bonus points if you have experience running containers or Kubernetes in production.
- You have a willingness to learn, teach and step outside of your comfort zone.
Our existing tech stack is a React and Python app, with MySQL/Aurora/Redis, composed of a monolith as well as newer services that’s deployed using Terraform/Ansible running on AWS and using Celery, RabbitMQ for async communications.
- A competitive base salary
- Generous PTO (we believe in our team having a great life outside of work)
- Competitive parental leave policy
- Multiple health care options with premium plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts, Health Savings Accounts & Commuter benefits
- Catered lunch on Wednesdays, unlimited snacks, beer on tap, etc.
- Team happy hours, events, and social clubs
- Free MakeSpace storage so you can take back your closet
- Beautiful office in Lower Manhattan with massive outdoor spaces for lunch, work, and play :)
MakeSpace culture is built on collaboration and innovation. There’s tons of room to grow and opportunities to take initiative. You will partner with sharp, motivated teammates looking to disrupt a massive industry—and have fun while doing it.
If this sounds like you, then let us know—and join a tech company that makes a concrete impact on the physical world every day!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds at our company. We are dedicated to a policy of nondiscrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, age, sex, religion, disability, or national origin.