Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
We are seeking a Senior Staff Engineer to help us build and support Mailchimp Advanced Smart Customer Platform initiative and products. You will set technical direction supporting all SCP products, represent the initiative in technical areas around the company, and guide teams of engineers through challenging decisions and implementation. In addition to technical expertise you must also be a skilled communicator and collaborator comfortable working across multiple teams and departments.
You should be comfortable with distributed teams (as you’ll work with colleagues in many locations), and excited about building a strong, inclusive environment for everyone who joins after you.
What you'll do here:
- You'll drive innovation among the teams, recognize innovation, and help communicate new ideas across teams
- You'll define and evangelize processes related to technology adoption, approvals, selection across all stakeholders
- You'll drive continuous improvement in standards for software design, development, testing and support
- You'll work with customers, marketing, and other stakeholders to understand use-cases and requirements, and translate these into roadmaps, architecture, design, and work breakdown
- You'll drive significant technology initiatives end to end and across multiple layers of architecture.
- You'll ensure the highest standards for engineering design, implementation, and testing.
- You'll provide and inspire innovations that fuel company growth as a whole.
- You'll mentor and train other engineers of all levels.
- You'll move beyond writing code and implementation to setting technical direction: where are we going in the next few years, what should we tackle, what are the hard things.
- You'll help create process or ideas the engineering department might need to help IC engineers.
- You'll help squads with their work by helping to avoid pitfalls and solving problems to keep the team going.
- You'll use skills, expertise, specialization, and experience to increase the capabilities of the business in a fundamental way.
- You'll relate the work of teams back to business needs; engineering for the sake of business value, problem solving, customer benefit, etc.
- You'll invest in a project or projects, bringing deep knowledge to make sure cross-technical needs are taken care of.
- You'll bring thought leadership to the organization.
- You'll consult with members of management and others across the organization on difficult problems while representing engineering interests.
- You'll foster success with the team by ensuring others are learning from your work.
- You'll do work that is transparent to others such that they learn as the work moves along.
- You'll collaborate and partner within the engineering organization and with other teams and disciplines outside of the engineering organization.
- You'll collaborate with Engineering Managers and/or Engineering Drivers for other Initiatives to create and sustain a productive department culture.
- You'll mentor and coach less-senior engineers.
- You'll build relationships at the director level and above and across all departments to learn how engineering can service others and to understand business strategy.
- You'll create a model of behavior for others to include but not to be limited by the following:
- Engaging with teams and guiding less-senior engineers
- Synthesizing information discovered through work to allow others to learn from that effort
- Report findings, wins, obstacles, and other noteworthy things to engineering teams to promote transparency.
- You'll communicate effectively and clearly before, during, and after project work.
- You'll bring a good sense to team members and senior leadership about tradeoffs for engineering decisions including benefits of advancing toward a particular engineering path versus another and risks involved in various decisions
- You'll discuss this particular information less in terms of “we cannot do this” and more in terms of “here are the tradeoffs if we do this”.
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You have worked with multiple scrum teams to review requirements, provide impact assessment on architecture, guide on architecture and technology stack evolution, review technical design, test plan & code quality.
- You are hands-on to design, develop and test pilots and prototypes for new concepts being tested out.
- You have worked with product management and other market facing teams to understand market needs & vision to come-up with multi-generation technology roadmap.
- You evangelize new technology, predict trends, and identify new opportunities based on trend.
- You have extensive experience working in large-scale distributed technology environments with teams spanning many locations.
- You have exceptional analytical, strategic thinking, and problem-solving skills.
- You have significant experience building and scaling consumer facing SaaS products and the underlying infrastructure necessary for supporting extreme growth.
- You are highly adaptable and flexible and able to provide clarity and encouragement for your surrounding teams.
- You are able to communicate effectively with all levels and backgrounds of collaborators across all departments.
- You are customer obsessed and focused on providing technical solutions to our customer’s problems and pain points.
At Mailchimp, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We don’t just accept differences, we celebrate them, support them, and hire peeps from a wide variety of backgrounds because it makes our company stronger. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience aligns with what we’re looking for (even if you don’t check every single box), please consider applying!
How you’ll work: Our Core Leadership Behaviors are the observable and measurable leadership actions and skills that contribute to our effectiveness and success in our roles at Mailchimp. They determine how we do our jobs and how we meet our goals, enabling us to bring out the best in each other and execute on our strategic plans to deliver for our customers.
- Thriving in Complexity: You unravel and make sense of potentially sophisticated, incomplete, and contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Nimble Learning: You tackle problems with experimentation, using successes and failures to inform future decisions
- Expecting the best: You hold yourself and others accountable to meet commitments
- Collaborating Courageously: You build partnerships across the company and work collaboratively with others to meet strategic goals
- Cultivating Candor: You act with integrity and earn the confidence and trust of others through honesty and authenticity
- Inclusive Leadership: You recognize the value diversity brings to our organization and leverages different perspectives to enhance organizational culture and drive performance
- Customer Obsessed: You listen hard to customers, understand their challenges, develop relationships with them, and deliver products that remove their obstacles
- Action Oriented: You initiate new opportunities and face tough challenges with a sense of energy, enthusiasm and service
Mailchimp is an all-in-one marketing platform for growing businesses. Mailchimp empowers millions of customers around the world to start and grow their businesses with world-class marketing technology, award-winning customer support, and inspiring content. Millions of businesses and individuals—from community organizations to Fortune 100 companies—trust Mailchimp to help them connect with their audience with the right message, at the right time, in the right place.
Founded in 2001 and based in Atlanta with offices in Brooklyn, Oakland, Vancouver, London, and Santa Monica, Mailchimp has 1,200+ employees. Through Intuit, we offer employees competitive compensation, best in class perks and benefits. We hire collaborative, customer obsessed, problem solvers and give you ample opportunity to grow and succeed. Find Mailchimp on social.
Vaccination Policy: We are requiring that employees who come onsite be vaccinated. Unless prohibited by applicable law, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a requirement for any position at Mailchimp/Intuit that necessitates coming onsite and/or in-person business activity. Qualified applicants who wold like to request an accommodation (exception) on the basis of a qualifying medical condition/disability or sincerely-held religious belief should contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender (including gender expression and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, weight, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information, or any other factor protected by federal, state or local law. Mailchimp also prohibits harassment of applicants and employees based on any of these protected categories, and complies with all applicable state and federal laws respecting consideration of unemployment status in making hiring decisions.