Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
We are seeking a Staff Engineer to help us build, maintain, and support all of the Mailchimp API offerings, used internally and externally and serving close to one billion requests daily. You can expect to shape the team’s technical direction and bring operational focus to projects that directly impact the future of the department, company, and Mailchimp integration developers globally.
The ideal candidate has experience building and operating large web applications, plus familiarity with current technology trends and patterns. They should also be a skilled communicator and collaborator comfortable working across multiple teams and departments.
What you'll do here:
- You'll establish patterns that help with consistency and engineer effectiveness.
- You'll architect and implement projects consistent with our philosophy and guidelines.
- You'll ensure developmental focus for the company's biggest initiatives.
- You'll understand the operational needs of other departments.
- You'll work collaboratively to solve complex issues.
- You'll provide technical guidance on large-scale projects that may span multiple engineering teams.
- You'll collaborate with, mentor, and train other engineers.
- You'll remain up-to-date on evolving tools and patterns for managing infrastructure, guiding our implementation of them when necessary.
- You'll work with a distributed team to push projects forward by providing feedback on code and architecture decisions.
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You have extensive experience working within large-scale development environments and building APIs to support them
- You have experience with system-level troubleshooting (understanding logs, strace, netstat, top/htop, istat, etc.)
- You have extensive experience scaling large web applications backed by Apache, Nginx, Haproxy, and other tools.
- You have significant coding experience in PHP, Go, Python, Ruby, or other similar languages that can be demonstrated through a portfolio of code.
- You are knowledgeable about databases, particularly MySQL and PostgreSQL.
- You’re a thoughtful communicator--our team is distributed, so effective written communication is key.
- You have exceptional analytical, strategic thinking and problem-solving skills.
Experience with or interest in the following areas are pluses, but not required:
- Databases (e.g. Postgres, MySQL, Redis)
- Continuous Integration and Deployment (e.g. Jenkins)
- Cloud Providers (e.g. AWS, GCP, Azure …)
- Object-relational mappings (ORM)s
- Caching systems (e.g. Memcached)
- Data-driven decision-making
- Web accessibility
- Testing patterns
Even if these areas don’t match your experience, you are encouraged to apply if you are excited about the role! At Mailchimp, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We don’t just accept differences, we celebrate them, support them, and hire peeps from a wide variety of backgrounds because it makes our company stronger. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience aligns with what we’re looking for (even if you don’t check every single box), please consider applying!
Mailchimp is an all-in-one marketing platform for growing businesses. Mailchimp empowers millions of customers around the world to start and grow their businesses with world-class marketing technology, award-winning customer support, and inspiring content. Millions of businesses and individuals—from community organizations to Fortune 100 companies—trust Mailchimp to help them connect with their audience with the right message, at the right time, in the right place.
Founded in 2001 and based in Atlanta with offices in Brooklyn, Oakland, Vancouver, London, and Santa Monica, Mailchimp has 1,200+ employees. Through Intuit, we offer employees competitive compensation, best in class perks and benefits. We hire collaborative, customer obsessed, problem solvers and give you ample opportunity to grow and succeed. Find Mailchimp on social.
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender (including gender expression and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, weight, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information, or any other factor protected by federal, state or local law. Mailchimp also prohibits harassment of applicants and employees based on any of these protected categories, and complies with all applicable state and federal laws respecting consideration of unemployment status in making hiring decisions.
At Mailchimp, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We don’t just accept differences, we celebrate them, support them, and hire peeps from a wide variety of backgrounds because it makes our company stronger. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience aligns with what we’re looking for (even if you don’t check every single box), please consider applying!