Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
This role will be responsible for partnering with engineering leadership to define and communicate strategic plans around our Engineering department’s Technical Roadmap. This person will engage both Engineering leadership and stakeholders across the company to ensure alignment around the interconnected initiatives and projects that support the Technical Roadmap. You can think of this role as being focused on the high-level view, connecting and enabling teams to successfully plan their own roadmaps within the context of upcoming infrastructure changes.
This internal-facing role will be focused on the needs of Engineering as we build out infrastructure for the benefit of Mailchimp, and not on product and public facing end-user features. A successful candidate will approach problems with empathy and diplomacy, and will have an eye for spotting opportunities for collaboration between teams.
What you'll do here:
- Works with technical leadership to advance and facilitate the long-term vision and goals for the Technical Roadmap of Mailchimp’s Engineering department.
- Collaborates with the technical leadership to build and manage the backlog of high-level initiatives and projects contributing to the Technical Roadmap, identifying dependencies and correlations, and establishing priority that aligns with long-term vision and goals.
- Clearly defines and guides a communications plan to create alignment between initiatives in the Technical Roadmap for the benefit of all involved.
- Partners with technical leadership to identify groups and stakeholders across the organization and determine the best approach to involve each.
- Participates in and provides connection between decision making and roadmap dedicated engineering groups. This person identifies and acts to bridge places where there are gaps in communication, or where groups should be collaborating around roadmap needs.
- Facilitates high level program review meetings with teams contributing to the roadmap.
- Serves as a point of contact for program and initiative owners across the company outside of Engineering who need access to the status and prioritization of our technical roadmap.
- Maintains a partnership with Technical Product Management, working together to ensure that product teams building out features and engineering teams building out infrastructure are aware of any interconnected pieces of their roadmaps.
- Helps broadcast the goals and trajectory of Technical Roadmap work being done at various levels across the company, in a way that connects how the higher level business needs are being served by the technical priorities and decisions.
We'd love to hear from you if:
- Capable of leading and navigating complex programs involving multiple Engineering teams. Comfortable communicating with Engineering leads of individual projects and initiatives that make up the broader Technical Roadmap.
- Adept at tactfully raising and negotiating conflicting requirements or needs between teams, and communicates needs candidly to leadership when needed in service of the roadmaps’ broader success.
- Experience managing both complex technical projects and programs. This person demonstrates the ability to balance a higher-level holistic view with dependencies between specific projects and initiatives, and has experience creating visual technical roadmaps that help others understand this view.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; excellent group facilitation and presentation skills. Able to interface with all levels of an organization, including cross-functional leadership.
- Understands methods for designing and managing a communication plan across a complex set of initiatives and multiple cross-functional groups that creates clarity, with the lowest possible administrative burden on all involved.
- Adept at translating technical strategy for communication with various audiences, both technical and non-technical.
- Able to empathetically assess the needs of stakeholders throughout the company, and to negotiate strategic plans that take these needs into consideration.
How you’ll work: Our Core Leadership Behaviors are the observable and measurable leadership actions and skills that contribute to our effectiveness and success in our roles at Mailchimp. They determine how we do our jobs and how we meet our goals, enabling us to bring out the best in each other and execute on our strategic plans to deliver for our customers.
- Thriving in Complexity: You unravel and make sense of potentially sophisticated, incomplete, and contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Nimble Learning: You tackle problems with experimentation, using successes and failures to inform future decisions
- Expecting the best: You hold yourself and others accountable to meet commitments
- Collaborating Courageously: You build partnerships across the company and work collaboratively with others to meet strategic goals
- Cultivating Candor: You act with integrity and earn the confidence and trust of others through honesty and authenticity
- Inclusive Leadership: You recognize the value diversity brings to our organization and leverages different perspectives to enhance organizational culture and drive performance
- Customer Obsessed: You listen hard to customers, understand their challenges, develop relationships with them, and deliver products that remove their obstacles
- Action Oriented: You initiate new opportunities and face tough challenges with a sense of energy, enthusiasm and service
*Mailchimp currently offers flexible and remote options in Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Georgia, Florida, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Washington. If you are unable to work from one of these registered locations, you will not be eligible for employment.
The salary range for this role in Colorado is $115,000 to $138,000 and final offers are determined using multiple factors including experience and level of expertise. For all other locations, the salary range will vary by geographic market and will be determined through the selection and assessment process for this role relative to your experience and our job qualifications. This position may also be eligible for an annual company performance based-bonus and/or a quarterly performance bonus. Mailchimp complies with applicable law regarding pay transparency.
Curious how hiring has shifted at Mailchimp due to Covid-19? Click here to find out more!
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta with offices in Brooklyn, Oakland, Vancouver, and London with additional remote work locations available. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing, and are a flexible-first organization. We hire collaborative, customer obsessed, problem solvers and give you ample opportunity to grow and succeed.
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender (including gender expression and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, weight, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by federal, state or local law.