Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
We are seeking an engineer to help us build and support the services that send over a billion emails per day and that millions of small businesses rely on. You’ll collaborate closely with engineers across the company to ensure our products are performant and reliable. You should be comfortable with distributed teams (as you’ll work with many folks in other locations), and also excited about building a strong, inclusive environment for everyone who joins after you.
Our ideal candidate is comfortable picking up new technologies and switching technical contexts. You value pragmatism over novelty in tooling, architecture, and language selection. You have a working knowledge of how different design patterns can influence the reliability of an application, and how different pieces of infrastructure can interact. You’re constantly working to reduce toil and implement automation and are passionate about improving the user’s experience. You've broken production environments—then fixed them and learned from the experience in a post-incident review. You provide mentorship for fellow team members and share your expertise through code reviews, office hours, Tech Talks, and other avenues.
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You have experience defining technical projects, prioritizing work, identifying dependencies, developing new features, and facilitating technical and cross-functional team discussions.
- You have experience mentoring, teaching, and creating an inclusive environment for teams.
- You are comfortable working in complex production environments and seek out ways to drive ambiguity down. You seek to understand before making changes, and actively work to facilitate communication to better understand other approaches to problem solving.
- You have experience writing well-tested, observable, maintainable code in one or more programming languages. We primarily use PHP, Python, and Golang, but prior experience with these languages is not a requirement.
- You are able to make data-driven decisions and have developed an intuition for acceptable performance and reliability benchmarks. You have experience transforming metrics and raw data into dashboards and actionable alerts using tools like Grafana, Prometheus, and Kibana.
- You’re familiar with the goal of configuration management and have used tools like Puppet or Terraform to automate the delivery and operation of infrastructure.
- You have experience defining Service Level Indicators (SLIs) and Service Level Objectives (SLOs) to help teams balance reliability with engineering velocity.
- You’re curious and comfortable with troubleshooting production incidents and debugging across interconnected systems and layers (including network, command line, and application).
- You are comfortable implementing creative solutions to resolve complex technical issues that other engineers encounter during their oncall rotations.
- You are able to participate in an on-call rotation requiring availability outside of business hours.
- You embrace and demonstrate our core values of humility, creativity, and independence.
- You have a bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, information technology, or a related field and 5 years of experience.
How you’ll work: Our Core Leadership Behaviors are the observable and measurable leadership actions and skills that contribute to our effectiveness and success in our roles at Mailchimp. They determine how we do our jobs and how we meet our goals, enabling us to bring out the best in each other and execute on our strategic plans to deliver for our customers.
- Thriving in Complexity: You unravel and make sense of potentially sophisticated, incomplete, and contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Nimble Learning: You tackle problems with experimentation, using successes and failures to inform future decisions
- Expecting the best: You hold yourself and others accountable to meet commitments
- Collaborating Courageously: You build partnerships across the company and work collaboratively with others to meet strategic goals
- Cultivating Candor: You act with integrity and earn the confidence and trust of others through honesty and authenticity
- Inclusive Leadership: You recognize the value diversity brings to our organization and leverages different perspectives to enhance organizational culture and drive performance
- Customer Obsessed: You listen hard to customers, understand their challenges, develop relationships with them, and deliver products that remove their obstacles
- Action Oriented: You initiate new opportunities and face tough challenges with a sense of energy, enthusiasm and service
*Mailchimp currently offers flexible and remote options in Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Georgia, Florida, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Washington. If you are unable to work from one of these registered locations, you will not be eligible for employment.
The salary range for this role in Colorado is $100,000 to $120,000 and final offers are determined using multiple factors including experience and level of expertise. For all other locations, the salary range will vary by geographic market and will be determined through the selection and assessment process for this role relative to your experience and our job qualifications. This position may also be eligible for an annual company performance based-bonus and/or a quarterly performance bonus. Mailchimp complies with applicable law regarding pay transparency.
Curious how hiring has shifted at Mailchimp due to Covid-19? Click here to find out more!
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta with offices in Brooklyn, Oakland, Vancouver, and London with additional remote work locations available. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing, and are a flexible-first organization. We hire collaborative, customer obsessed, problem solvers and give you ample opportunity to grow and succeed.
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender (including gender expression and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, weight, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by federal, state or local law.