Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
We’re looking to hire an experienced manager to lead the Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) Operations team.
SRE's ensure that the Mailchimp application deploys and runs reliably in production. We reduce toil by implementing instrumentation and improving observability of running applications. We automate manual tasks so that there are fewer opportunities for errors to occur. We take responsibility for making sure that completed application code runs quickly and reliably.
SRE managers work to unlock the potential of the other members of the team by ensuring that their colleagues are unblocked and connected with the support and resources they need to do their best work in support of the team goals.
What you'll do:
- Cultivate healthy channels for communication, review, and feedback. Clearly and effectively communicate across departments, teams, and management tiers.
- Maintain a sense of camaraderie, cooperation, and collaboration among team members. Insure that members of the team feel psychologically safe. Support and encourage those who face challenging situations.
- Build a common mindset by aligning groups of people along shared goals. Recognize team members' desire to do good work, cultivate their intrinsic motivations and strengths, and connect them with the resources they need to be successful. Establish flexible systems for ensuring accountability.
- Provide coaching, mentoring, and encouragement to team members. Effectively acknowledge and reward both individual and team efforts. Support employees in their skill development in ways that meet both strategic organizational goals and their individual objectives.
- Recognize when it's necessary to talk through difficult topics and deliver clear, candid, and actionable feedback. Prevent conflict from lingering longer than necessary by focusing on working through issues quickly, productively, and with a minimal disturbance.
- Facilitate open and honest dialog within the team, drawing on the broad experiences and diverse perspectives of team members. Coordinate healthy discussions, and work to establish consent when consensus is unattainable.
- Cultivate and solicit honest feedback about your own performance. Put in time and energy to learn to be more effective when coaching, delivering feedback, and developing others, and to understand unfamiliar technologies, tools, and systems.
- Utilize failure as an opportunity to learn and grow. Apply criticism and mistakes as an opportunities to learn without assigning blame or entrenching regret.
We'd love to hear from you if you:
- Recognize the value of transparent, honest communication and the necessity of sharing information.
- Communicate confidently, write capably, and present effectively to groups of 5-10 people.
- Are patient, resilient, and willing to take on work even when it's challenging, ambiguous, or intense.
- Deliver clear, effective feedback even when it’s difficult or intimidating
- Demonstrate self confidence while remaining open-minded. Willing to consider things from other points-of-view and consider the impact on others; comfortable being proven wrong.
- Desire to pursue collaboration even when it introduces dissent. Values bringing diverse points-of-view to the table. Able to balance efforts between planning and acting.
- Understand how to augment humility with the courage to propose, develop, and defend ideas they feel passionately about
- Are Introspective; able to gauge how their own mood and perspective impacts their interpretation of others' behavior, and how their own strengths and weaknesses can support or derail the work of others they interact with.
- Have experience with one or more of the following:
- Experience leading teams, bonus points for leadership experience in a operations or development capacity
- Familiarity with software and/or systems engineering technologies, tools, and practices
- Programming experience
How you’ll work: Our Core Leadership Behaviors are the observable and measurable leadership actions and skills that contribute to our effectiveness and success in our roles at Mailchimp. They determine how we do our jobs and how we meet our goals, enabling us to bring out the best in each other and execute on our strategic plans to deliver for our customers.
- Thriving in Complexity: You unravel and make sense of potentially sophisticated, incomplete, and contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Nimble Learning: You tackle problems with experimentation, using successes and failures to inform future decisions
- Expecting the best: You hold yourself and others accountable to meet commitments
- Collaborating Courageously: You build partnerships across the company and work collaboratively with others to meet strategic goals
- Cultivating Candor: You act with integrity and earn the confidence and trust of others through honesty and authenticity
- Inclusive Leadership: You recognize the value diversity brings to our organization and leverages different perspectives to enhance organizational culture and drive performance
- Customer Obsessed: You listen hard to customers, understand their challenges, develop relationships with them, and deliver products that remove their obstacles
- Action Oriented: You initiate new opportunities and face tough challenges with a sense of energy, enthusiasm and service
*Mailchimp currently offers flexible and remote options in Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Georgia, Florida, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Washington. If you are unable to work from one of these registered locations, you will not be eligible for employment.
The salary range for this role in Colorado is $123,000 to $148,000 and final offers are determined using multiple factors including experience and level of expertise. For all other locations, the salary range will vary by geographic market and will be determined through the selection and assessment process for this role relative to your experience and our job qualifications. This position may also be eligible for an annual company performance based-bonus and/or a quarterly performance bonus. Mailchimp complies with applicable law regarding pay transparency.
Curious how hiring has shifted at Mailchimp due to Covid-19? Click here to find out more!
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta with offices in Brooklyn, Oakland, Vancouver, and London with additional remote work locations available. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing, and are a flexible-first organization. We hire collaborative, customer obsessed, problem solvers and give you ample opportunity to grow and succeed.
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender (including gender expression and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, weight, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by federal, state or local law.