Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools. At Mailchimp, our Purpose is to Empower the Underdog, and our Vision is to become the world’s most loved, most inspiring small business brand.
Mailchimp is a historically unique and highly imaginative brand that isn’t afraid of expressive and experimental design, advertising and content in service of our mission and our customers. At the spiritual heart of this work is the “Mailchimp Brand Creative”. We drive our brand’s bold creative vision and uphold and evolve our visual identity across channels. Our team makes an exciting range of non-traditional work that benefits and inspires our employees and customers alike—we humbly accept the label of being Mailchimp’s secret sauce.
We are looking for a highly creative and strategic-minded Design Director—a leader-doer—to help us evolve while still staying true to our creative spirit. We are seeking someone who loves design as much as we do — who can consistently inspire design teams to deliver exceptional and thought-provoking work. Your own design work sets an extremely high bar, and acts as an example which designers want to follow. You are constantly pushing the boundaries of creativity, and always looking for opportunities for provocative collaborations between design disciplines at Mailchimp. You will be a Brand Guardian of our design system, and stretch, pull and systemize our elements in order to stay ahead. Design and Typography is your passion and you can talk Brand Design in your sleep.
What you'll do here:
- Be responsible for the creative success of medium-sized to large projects – often more than one at the same time, day-to-day.
- Work collaboratively with cross-disciplinary design teams to build systemic branding solutions.
- Manage multiple projects of varying types of deliverables.
- Ensure all final design deliverables for a project are pixel-perfect.
- Cultivate the unique voice/vision of your direct reports, creating an environment of psychological safety so their voices are being heard and their ideas valued.
- Find opportunities for unexpected collaborations between design disciplines at Mailchimp, as well as external.
- Make smart connections between what's going on in the world and what we can achieve at Mailchimp.
- Guide the creative voice of the design community and Mailchimp as a whole in partnership with team Creative Directors.
- Collaborate with the account and production teams as integral partners to iron out process details for briefs, working through any emergent challenges or conflicts to help successfully meet project goals.
- Raise internal cultural problems with leadership in a mature manner, bringing solutions and ideas to the table.
- Persuasively present and defend work.
- Inspire complete confidence in partners, earning trust to push creativity and ambition.
- Recognize growth opportunities for the "client" and project.
We would love to hear from you if:
- You are a brilliant creative and strategic thinker who recognizes how creativity can solve business problems.
- You are passionate about Design and Typography.
- You are a Brand Systems expert.
- You are able to make big creative calls on behalf of the team and Mailchimp as a whole with excellent judgement and decision-making skills.
- You are a great planner who constantly thinks ahead about the needs of the team, our partners, and the project.
- You have an understanding of resourcing needs and when to prioritize and delegate.
- You are an enthusiastic leader who can provide insight, encouragement, and constructive direction to those working with you, mentoring and inspiring them.
- You are an intuitive problem solver, with the judgement, experience and decisiveness to make things happen.
- You're constantly pushing boundaries.
How you’ll work: Our Core Leadership Behaviors are the observable and measurable leadership actions and skills that contribute to our effectiveness and success in our roles at Mailchimp. They determine how we do our jobs and how we meet our goals, enabling us to bring out the best in each other and execute on our strategic plans to deliver for our customers.
- Thriving in Complexity: You unravel and make sense of potentially sophisticated, incomplete, and contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Nimble Learning: You tackle problems with experimentation, using successes and failures to inform future decisions
- Expecting the best: You hold yourself and others accountable to meet commitments
- Collaborating Courageously: You build partnerships across the company and work collaboratively with others to meet strategic goals
- Cultivating Candor: You act with integrity and earn the confidence and trust of others through honesty and authenticity
- Inclusive Leadership: You recognize the value diversity brings to our organization and leverages different perspectives to enhance organizational culture and drive performance
- Customer Obsessed: You listen hard to customers, understand their challenges, develop relationships with them, and deliver products that remove their obstacles
- Action Oriented: You initiate new opportunities and face tough challenges with a sense of energy, enthusiasm and service
The target base salary for this role is $155,000 to $186,000. Base salary will be determined through the selection and assessment process for this role relative to your experience and our job qualifications.
Curious how hiring has shifted at Mailchimp due to Covid-19? Click here to find out more!
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta with offices in Brooklyn, Oakland, Vancouver, and London with additional remote work locations available. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing, and are a flexible-first organization. We hire collaborative, customer obsessed, problem solvers and give you ample opportunity to grow and succeed.
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender (including gender expression and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, weight, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by federal, state or local law.