Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
This role sits within Strategy, a new and growing function at Mailchimp that supports the creation and deployment of corporate strategy and helps guide internal teams on driving business growth.
As a Senior Researcher on our team, you will be primarily focused on developing a deep understanding of our core small business audience and leveraging that understanding to drive our corporate strategy. You listen hard, observe everything, and can skillfully synthesize large amounts of information into actionable insights. You take on complex, high impact projects that will influence decisions across the business. You should be an experienced researcher who’s comfortable working solo, taking lead on small research project teams, and collaborating with Mailchimp’s Strategy, Marketing, Product, and CX & Design teams. You must be a highly skilled communicator—a deft interviewer, excellent writer and storyteller, and diplomatic colleague.
What you’ll do here:
- Be an expert on our customers and prospective customers and advocate for their needs in cross-functional conversations and strategic planning
- Lead primary research projects independently or in collaboration with 1-2 other researchers (internal or vendor-side) to explore and assess customer needs
- Translate research needs into project plans, set scope, define strategy, and use the appropriate methods (qualitative, quantitative, or both)
- Lead project analysis, guide the final deliverable, and take responsibility for deadlines
- Communicate and socialize insights and recommendations across departments and up to leadership clearly, effectively, and diplomatically (through reports, presentations, casual conversations, cross-functional team meetings, internal newsletters, workshops, emails, etc.)
- Produce research deliverables (reports, presentation decks, etc.) that require minimal editing before they’re ready to share
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You have extensive experience leading and executing primary research projects (minimum 5 years of research experience)
- You have expertise in designing surveys, writing discussion guides, moderating interviews, analyzing and visualizing data, translating findings into frameworks and recommendations, and presenting work
- You have experience with persona development, longitudinal research, ethnography, customer journey mapping, segmentation, brand health tracking, and survey methodology
- You have experience conducting research to inform the discovery phase of the product development lifecycle, go-to-market strategy, positioning, messaging, and concept testing
- You can confidently manage 3rd party vendors (recruiting, sample providers, full service agencies, etc.)
- You have strong written and interpersonal communication skills
- You have strong cross-team collaboration skills, including planning and facilitating workshop and ideation sessions
- You are willing to travel a few times a year (once it’s safe and appropriate)
- Bonus: You have a background in or exposure to the software or SaaS space, you’ve worked with big data (web/app behavioral data), and/or you have experience collaborating with product/web analytics teams
The target base salary for this role is $104,000 to $125,000. Base salary will be determined through the selection and assessment process for this role relative to your experience and our job qualifications.
Curious to how hiring has shifted related to COVID-19? Click here to find out more!
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta with offices in Brooklyn, Oakland, Vancouver, and London with additional remote work locations available. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing, and are working toward becoming a flexible-first organization. We hire collaborative, customer obsessed, problem solvers and give you ample opportunity to grow and succeed.
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.